Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

New Nikon D3100 DSLR + 4 New Lenses

Nikon announced a new digital SLR and four new lenses tonight.

The Nikon D3100 is a seriously updated version of the D3000. It's got a 14-megapixel CMOS sensor, it's Nikon's first DSLR with full 1080p HD video and it's the world's first digital SLR to have full-time continuous auto focus in movie mode.

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Announcement >>

The new lenses are an AF-S 55-300mm VR DX, a new AF-S 85mm f/1.4 portrait lens, an updated version of the AF-S 24-120mm f/4 VR zoom, and most interesting to me - an AF-S 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR superzoom for FX and 35mm cameras.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: New Nikon D3100 DSLR + 4 New Lenses

Anyone have any comments on the new Nikon camera or lenses? I had zero interest in the D3000, but the new video spec of the D3100 make it very interesting. And if I were a Nikon shooter I'd be making serious plans to get my hands on the new 28-300mm lens.
    Photo-John

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

The 28-300mm does look good. Also I think it's great Nikon has finally redone the 85mm f/1.4 lens.

I do like the video mode on the D3100 also.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

If you're a professional or advanced amateur in search of a fairly small, light body (compared with a D3 anyway) you take the D300S with either the 16-85VR or the 18-200VR, depending on whether image quality or flexibility is your priority for the day. (This is what I do)

Now Nikon provides you with almost the same options with an FX body - the D700 with either the 24-120 or 28-300. OK that makes sense.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

The 28-300

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    Now Nikon provides you with almost the same options with an FX body - the D700 with either the 24-120 or 28-300. OK that makes sense.
    Yup. I think the 28-300mm is a really nice addition to the Nikkor lens line. Although I'm sure some lens snobs will look down on the 28-300 as not being pro enough, I would use the hell out of it, just as I use the hell out of my 18-200. As long as the image quality doesn't suck - and it won't - it's gonna be the most useful single lens any photographer can own.
    Photo-John

GB1

DX...

I favor the FX format but wonder if DX will win the long race, simply because it has momentum. There's not many newer FX lenses out there.

Congrats to Nikon for releasing the first DSLR w/ auto focus in movie mode. That's a big thing. But i still don't 'think' video when I'm shooting stills (maybe that's just me though).

I wonder when the upgraded D700 is coming out?

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    Congrats to Nikon for releasing the first DSLR w/ auto focus in movie mode. That's a big thing. But i still don't 'think' video when I'm shooting stills (maybe that's just me though).
    I agree with you about mixing video and still shooting. I've been doing a lot of video lately and find it very hard to shoot video and stills at the same time. It seems my brain is either in video or still mode. Having separate camera helps, which is ironic since I was excited to finally get one camera that could do both (my 7D).
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by GB1
    I favor the FX format but wonder if DX will win the long race, simply because it has momentum. There's not many newer FX lenses out there.
    It's not a race. FX with continue as the pro format and DX as the amateur format with a grey area in the middle (which is where we are). There have been more FX lens announcements recently than DX.

What are the differences between the D300S (DX) and the D700 (FX)?

- the sensor
    - the viewfinder

It's easy to manufacture two low-end pro cameras with different sensor sizes.

I don't think we'll low-end lenses for the FX bodies. These things are all bought by professionals or expert amateurs. Would you really buy your D700 in a kit with a 100$ plastic lens? Either you buy with a decent mid-range lens (24-120) or you buy body only.

I don't think we'll see many new high-end lenses for DX. The 18-55 f2.8, 12-24 and 10mm were all introduced at the time when the high-end pro Nikon was DX (D2X).
    Charles

GB1

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    It's not a race. FX with continue as the pro format and DX as the amateur format with a grey area in the middle (which is where we are). There have been more FX lens announcements recently than DX.

What are the differences between the D300S (DX) and the D700 (FX)?

- the sensor
    - the viewfinder

It's easy to manufacture two low-end pro cameras with different sensor sizes.

I don't think we'll low-end lenses for the FX bodies. These things are all bought by professionals or expert amateurs. Would you really buy your D700 in a kit with a 100$ plastic lens? Either you buy with a decent mid-range lens (24-120) or you buy body only.

I don't think we'll see many new high-end lenses for DX. The 18-55 f2.8, 12-24 and 10mm were all introduced at the time when the high-end pro Nikon was DX (D2X).

What are the FX announcements? I don't know where to look for them

I really don't know where they're headed with the DX/FX thing. I am in the market for a good FX "VR" lens, but the only one I see out there that moderately interests me is the 70-200mm, which costs a fortune. And, 70mm is too high a starting focal length for me: what I need is a 24-200mm VR lens for my D700. It wasn't an issue when I was shooting all landscapes, but I need a VR for shooting models etc because I can't use a tripod in those situations.

The D300S has some astronomically high ISO ratings by the way. The 700's is 6400 but I think the "S" series reach 100,000 or something. For those who need to shoot in very dark situations it may be Utopia... I'm thinking wildlife photogs who shoot moving animals before dawn.
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.

My Site

Wow, the D3100 seems very good, how about compared with D5000?

I bought my D700 2 years ago as a kit with the 24-120 VR lens. All my other lenses were fix aperture pro type and I didn't think I would like the 24-120 at all but the price was right on the kit so I took a chance. I couldn't have been more wrong. The 24-120 has turned out to be very versatile with very acceptable quality and now is my go to walk about lens taking he place of the 28-70 that use to live on my camera. Couldn't be more pleased and surprised.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    I bought my D700 2 years ago as a kit with the 24-120 VR lens. All my other lenses were fix aperture pro type and I didn't think I would like the 24-120 at all but the price was right on the kit so I took a chance. I couldn't have been more wrong. The 24-120 has turned out to be very versatile with very acceptable quality and now is my go to walk about lens taking he place of the 28-70 that use to live on my camera. Couldn't be more pleased and surprised.
    That's good news. The new 24-120 is actually a new design with f4 constant maximum aperture. Sound really promising.

I can understand the 28-70 not being the ideal walk-around lens. I think mine is great but I only use it on serious shoots when I want to frighten away the other photographers with a Monster lens. Or if I'm in dim light and I need that f2.8 maximum aperture so the autofocus works fast and sure.

BTW GB1 about the 100,000 ISO setting - that's on the D3S (FX). The D300S seems to have much the same sensor as the D300 i.e. 200-6400 ISO maximum. Which is already enough for most things.
    Charles

I'm concerned about lens compatibility with the D3100.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon's Web site
    AI-P NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
    AF-S, AF-I: All functions supported
    Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
    IX Nikkor lenses cannot be used
    Electronic Rangefinder usable with lens with maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster
    Type G or D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except autofocus
    AF-NIKKOR for F3AF not supported
    Other AF NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and 3D color matrix metering II
    Type D PC NIKKOR: All functions supported except autofocus and some shooting modes
    How bad is that going to cripple someone who has no Nikon gear yet? Does that mean I'm only going be able to use the newest lenses to be able to have full functionality, eliminating the ability to buy lenses second-hand?
    Last edited by Bad_Haggis; 09-12-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad_Haggis
    I'm concerned about lens compatibility with the D3100.

How bad is that going to cripple someone who has no Nikon gear yet? Does that mean I'm only going be able to use the newest lenses to be able to have full functionality, eliminating the ability to buy lenses second-hand?
    To put it simply: Yes

In more detail: pretty much all Nikon lenses introduced for the last 7 years are AF-S so they will work fine with the D3100. The situation is the same for all the entry-level bodies since the D40 (D40x, D60, D5000, D3000).

This is an entry-level camera, intended for people who don't have much interest in photography.

If you are interested enough to go hunting around for second-hand lenses or fit prime (fixed focal length) lenses then you are more of an Expert. Nikon has the camera for you - the D90. Much better viewfinder, user interface that gives you much better control and compatibility with lenses back into the 1990's.

If the aim is to save money then I wouldn't bother with second-hand. The plastic kit lenses that come with the camera are very good and they are almost given away.
    Charles

I had a 28-300 in my hands this afternoon - a collegue bought one to go with his D3S. It looked and felt just like a fat 18-200VR.

Up till now I've been using the D300 and two sensational DX lenses that just don't have an equivalent in the FX 24x36 world - the 16-85VR and the 18-200VR. I could ignore the D700 and FX format because it meant carrying around more gear which was less versatile.

And now Nikon introduce the 24-120VR f4 and the 28-300VR which are just about equivalent to my favourite DX lenses and are only slightly bigger. There goes the DX advantage...
    Charles

Thread Information