Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

A little preview of images from the Nikon D7100

I ran out and bought a 7100. Pictureline said I was the first one in Utah to have one and it seems to me maybe one of the first in the US. I will be doing a full review in the next few days to share with all. But for now I wanted to share a few samples.

Lightroom is unable to read the NEF files from the 7100 right now. After flipping and flopping files I finally have a sample. Unfortunately these were 12bit RAW files converted to JPG in Nikon's View NX then imported to Lightroom for editing. So some detail is lost in translation of course. Hopefully Adobe gets on it and gets the 7100 added to LR very soon. Even with all the converting this shows a little of what this camera is capable of under some pretty extreme conditions. On one hand it is very impressive for a DX camera. On the other it is not as good as I hoped for.

These are photos from anti bully talk put on by my friends from Absolute MMA at our local Boys and Girls Club. This is one of many talks they have given here for kids of all ages. This was an older group. It was a talk about bullies and fights. And if it does happen, how it is possible to avoid being hurt and subdue an attacker without throwing punches or really hurting anyone using Jiu Jitsu. It was pretty funny to see some of the loud mouth kids get to try their hand at attacking a 2nd degree blackbelt in Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. As you can see, they didn't get too far. After a few tried more kids lined up. It was a cool experience for the kids to see there are more options than a fist fight and violence.

For these pics I used my brand spanking new 24-120 f4 the VR on. All images were tuned up a little in LR. I bumped up the exposure a tad and slightly adjusted the WB. Noise reduction and sharpening also pumped up slightly. No other settings have been changed at all.

#1 ISO 8000?? H1 (Does not show in the metadata in LR or NX) 1/320 f4

2. This one I am not terribly impressed with the focus tracking. Focus point was on the face of the guy in the Gi. Not that this is a great example because shutter speed was low. But, not tons of speed here and no point I can really pick that is in focus.
    ISO 6400 1/320 F4

3. ISO 6400 1/320 f4

4 ISO 6400 1/320 f4 Again with the tracking. But maybe good with the knee patch.

5. Here is a still image. Looks pretty nice for ISO6400 with $1100 DX camera IMO. But I still can't figure out what was the focus point? I know it was right on the boy's face. But? Is the girl as in focus? If not more so?

I am going to try some more shots in daylight this weekend. It should be interesting using it under some normal conditions.

Re: A little preview of images from the Nikon D7100

Sweet! They look pretty good to me. Thanks for posting. Now bring that camera over to HQ for some studio tests!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: A little preview of images from the Nikon D7100

Here are some shots in totally normal conditions. Outside and inside. Took the 7100 out on the town while running a few errands. Grabbed some lunch and went to a gun shop looking for a gun stock. I am using it for a lighting project I am working on. I am calling it the "light gun". Fancy huh. All of these pics have had a tiny tweak in LR. Little bump in exposure and contrast. And the indoor ones a slight tweak in WB. No sharpening or noise reduction at all.

1. My VW bug. ISO 200 1/1000 f4

Super crop of this. Tons of detail in there.

2. ISO 200 1/1000 f4

3. Horchata the super dog. ISO 2000 1/3200 f4

4. Mmmmm Lunch ISO 800 1/100 f4

5. YEEEEHAAAAW it is gun time. I am not a gun guy and this was a new experience for me. This place was packed with people getting ready for the zombie attack. ISO 1600 1/60 f4

6. My buddy Mike looking down the barrel of a sniper rifle. ISO 1600 1/200 f4

7. ISO 320 1/5000 f4

8. ISO 320 1/1250 f4

Studio Samples Posted

zerodog brought his D7100 over this weekend so I could shoot studio tests. I got those posted, along with some analysis, this morning. As far as image quality goes, the D7100 is definitely a winner:

Nikon D7100 Studio Sample Photos >>

What do you think of the sample photos? I think it's the best image quality I've seen yet from an APS-C sensor camera.

zerodog is going to do the D7100 pro review for us, too. I think we're going to turn this one around pretty quick so keep your eyes open!

A little preview of images from the Nikon D7100-nikon-d7100-smpls_collage.jpg
    Photo-John

Re: Studio Samples Posted

Very nice !
    Fist review I have seen for the D7100!!

Did you AF fine tune the lens to the 7100 ? the 24-120 that had a bit of af trouble in low light

Thanks for sharing it !
    Last edited by armando_m; 03-18-2013 at 05:03 PM.

No fine tuning at all. I took this out of the box put the 24-120 on it and started shooting. I set up a few basic parameters of the AF. 51 point and set to AFC

Just wanted to give this thread a bump. We're putting the final touches on Rob's (zerodog) D7100 pro review now. Should have it live in the next day or so. It's a good one
    Photo-John

Thread Information