Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>
    Poorman with Nikon D80 bordersandflags's Avatar

Hey, you think PMA is gonna introduce d70 replacement?

I'm not sure. but I wanna buy a D70 soon cuz my KM Z10 just died on me. and the d70 been on my mind for months. Should i wait until PMA is over or do you think they wont replace it since they have put out the d200?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Hey, you think PMA is gonna introduce d70 replacement?

Hasn't the D70 already been replaced by the D70s?
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by bordersandflags
    I'm not sure. but I wanna buy a D70 soon cuz my KM Z10 just died on me. and the d70 been on my mind for months. Should i wait until PMA is over or do you think they wont replace it since they have put out the d200?
    We should know within the next few weeks. My guess would be, no. I think the most likely models will be a D50 replacement and/or a D2H replacement.

I'll start a PMA discussion on the news forum next week. Then everyone can post their PMA photo and info requests.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Dumb question...What's PMA??? Is it something like NAMM (for music) or ComDex (for Electronics)??
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken, yes - I think it stands for Photo Marketing Association or something like that.

I doubt we'll see a D70 replacement. It was replaced by the slightly upgraded D70s not that long ago and typically Nikon keeps their SLR's around for a little longer than Canon. I've heard rumors about a D3H to replace the D2Hs, but rumors don't usually get you too far (you know what Ted Turner said about opinions, same deal).

The D50 isn't that old either so I doubt it would be replaced this soon. They may have some new point and shoots, but then I think everybody pretty much has to have new ones at the shows...

No but soon

Even if Nikon did announce the D70S replacement at PMA you wouldn't be able to buy one before early summer. I would expect Nikon to announce the D70S replacement in the next 6 months anyway. Now that Sony have got the 10MPix sensor into production Nikon will roll it out over the D70 and D50 as volumes build up.

It also allows Nikon to take the future Canon 30D in a cross-fire between two 10Mpix cameras:

- D200 = all metal body, true low-end pro machine, 2000$
    - D70S replacement = plastic body with metal inserts, advanced amateur, 1100$

Charles

Re: No but soon

Quote Originally Posted by Franglais
    It also allows Nikon to take the future Canon 30D in a cross-fire between two 10Mpix cameras:
    Where did you hear about this future Canon?
    Photo-John

Nothing solid

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    The French magazines have been speculating about the 30D and the 3500D for a few months but I don't think there have been any reliable leaks about them. I don't think that the Canon engineers drop by the magazines and talk about what they're working on, unlike some other manufacturers.

Everybody is just guessing. My personal guess is that it will not go head-on with the D200 and it's magnesium body. I think that it will be like the 5D with a new 10Mpix APS sensor - plastic chassis derived from that of the 350D with steel inserts, aluminium top plate, magnesium grip and no waterproof seals. But that would be disappointing. What can Canon surprise us with this time?

Charles

o. haha i meant the d70s. Its only has a few different upgrades from the original anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Dumb question...What's PMA??? Is it something like NAMM (for music) or ComDex (for Electronics)??
    Ken
    i thought my question was pretty valid. i think asking what PMA...is dumb because its the photo marketing association. and its about photography.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Sorry you misunderstood me Bordersandflags....I thought your question was great...It was me asking the dumb question. Being fairly new to photography, I had never heard of PMA before and I probably should have know what it was. Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding. It wasn't you!!!!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

i think asking what PMA...is dumb because its the photo marketing association. and its about photography.
    I'm sure there was a time in your life when you didn't know what PMA was either...

Quote Originally Posted by ken1953
    Sorry you misunderstood me Bordersandflags....I thought your question was great...It was me asking the dumb question. Being fairly new to photography, I had never heard of PMA before and I probably should have know what it was. Please accept my apology for the misunderstanding. It wasn't you!!!!
    Ken

oooooo. im sooooo sorry!!!!!!! i guess misunderstanding is not good. I dont want enemies on photographyreview, so please, it was my fault.

learning member

Re: No but soon

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John

http://www.camera-news.com/2005/11/0...n-30d-rumours/

Just Google Cannon nikon rumors.
    Reading what I can about the D200 until that other site does their thing (What's taking so long? These sites sell more cameras for free than any advertising does so you would think the camera companies would give a few away.).
    I seems that you will be able to take 2 photo's exposing 1 for highlight and 1 for shadows and the camera will make 1 out of them for you.
    Starting to sound more affordable.
    Mark.

...seems that you will be able to take 2 photo's ...

"exposing 1 for highlight and 1 for shadows and the camera will make 1 out of them for you."

The D2X has that capability. Seems logical that it will make its way into the lower priced bodies eventually.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

the future Canon 30D

Even if Nikon did announce the D70S replacement at PMA you wouldn't be able to buy one before early summer. I would expect Nikon to announce the D70S replacement in the next 6 months anyway. Now that Sony have got the 10MPix sensor into production Nikon will roll it out over the D70 and D50 as volumes build up.

- D200 = all metal body, true low-end pro machine, 2000$
    - D70S replacement = plastic body with metal inserts, advanced amateur, 1100$

Charles

What about the Canon 5D?

It made a big splash in Outdoor Photographer, and it seems to have caught most folks off guard. Seems no one was expecting a full frame camera. Everyone was expecting a 30D, basically an upgraded 20D, not a full frame sensor camera.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Not a competitor

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    What about the Canon 5D?

It made a big splash in Outdoor Photographer, and it seems to have caught most folks off guard. Seems no one was expecting a full frame camera. Everyone was expecting a 30D, basically an upgraded 20D, not a full frame sensor camera.
    The 5D is almost twice as expensive as the D200 which for me means they're not competitors. It's enabled Canon to distract attention from the D200 but when/if the 30D comes out it may just demonstrate how much extra you pay for the full-frame sensor and for what improvement.

Charles

Re: Not a competitor

The 5D is almost twice as expensive as the D200 which for me means they're not competitors. It's enabled Canon to distract attention from the D200 but when/if the 30D comes out it may just demonstrate how much extra you pay for the full-frame sensor and for what improvement.

Charles

Ah yes, I didn't consider the price difference. Geez, where was my head?

It's great having a range of camera's, sort of something to fill everyone's budget. Basic DSLR's start at well under $1000 now, and you can work your way up the price scale for the features you want/can afford.

Let's see, on the Nikon side, you have the D50 for $650, the D70s for $899, the D200 for $1700, the D2H for $3,500, and the ultimate Nikon, the D2X for ONLY $5000.

Switching tracks here, I'm wondering if the introduction of the 5D will finally push Nikon to make a full frame sensor for the D3X. Kodak has been making a full frame sensor for $5,000, Canon has been making the 1Ds for $8,000, but the 5D for a little over $3,000 is definitely going to upset the Nikon applecart. (At least I think so.)

I love Nikon's, love the ergonomics, but in the digital world, they seem content to leave things as they are. It takes Canon introducing something new and/or cheaper to get Nikon going.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Re: Not a competitor

Kodak has been making a full frame sensor for $5,000
    Past tense. They used to. Basically it was an N80 with a f/f sensor - for five grand? It was less at the end, but it's not the camera for everybody. And apparently not enough, either...

Canon has some advantages and Nikon does too. I'm still using my Fuji S2 which is almost ancient by today's standards. I'd like to upgrade it, but not enough to part with the cash - nothing looks that good just yet. If the D70 had a better viewfinder, maybe - but I think before too long that a D200-like camera will be in that price range.

I have to put in a plug for Fuji, too. My sensor died, and they fixed it free. I'm guessing that the repair would normally cost at least what the camera's worth on the used market but they admitted that there were a bunch of bad sensors and stood behind them. I bought it new 2-1/2 years ago, so it's 1-1/2 years out of warranty. Apparently it's sitting at FedEx here in town too, after Fuji only having it for less than a week. Top that! Look for a big public thank you to Fuji here in Viewfinder after I pick it up...

No comment - yet

Switching tracks here, I'm wondering if the introduction of the 5D will finally push Nikon to make a full frame sensor for the D3X. Kodak has been making a full frame sensor for $5,000, Canon has been making the 1Ds for $8,000, but the 5D for a little over $3,000 is definitely going to upset the Nikon applecart. (At least I think so.)

I love Nikon's, love the ergonomics, but in the digital world, they seem content to leave things as they are. It takes Canon introducing something new and/or cheaper to get Nikon going.
    Let's just wait for a while and see what the 30D actually turns out to be, if it even exists.

Charles

Talking I have to put in a plug for Fuji, too.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I have to put in a plug for Fuji, too. My sensor died, and they fixed it free. I'm guessing that the repair would normally cost at least what the camera's worth on the used market but they admitted that there were a bunch of bad sensors and stood behind them. I bought it new 2-1/2 years ago, so it's 1-1/2 years out of warranty. Apparently it's sitting at FedEx here in town too, after Fuji only having it for less than a week. Top that! Look for a big public thank you to Fuji here in Viewfinder after I pick it up...

That is awesome!!! Seeing a company stand behind their products is getting to be a rare thing these days. It's nice to know something still cares about quality and the customer.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

Has anyone heard anything or seen anything at pma concerning this topic. If not when is the next tradeshow? Maybe they'll introduce one at the next show?.

Photokina end of September 2006

Quote Originally Posted by xsport652
    Has anyone heard anything or seen anything at pma concerning this topic. If not when is the next tradeshow? Maybe they'll introduce one at the next show?.
    Nothing at PMA (so far). Next major show is Photokina at the end of September.

Going by what's happened in the past, the 10Mpix Sony sensor that appeared in the D200 should start to replace the 6Mpix Sony sensor in the D70s, D50, Pentax/Samsung and Konica/Minolta/Sony bodies this year.

However Canon stuck with their existing 8Mpix sensor in the 30D so perhaps this means they won't be changing to another sensor (in the 350D as well) for another 18 months. Very surprising. Perhaps this indicates that the pixel war is over, but Sony and Samsung are going to try to muscle in on the DSLR market and Canon may be just giving them the opportunity here.

Charles

Thread Information