Nikon Camera Equipment Forum

Discuss Nikon digital cameras, Nikon film cameras, Nikkor lenses, Nikon camera accessories, etc. - Your Nikon cameras forum moderator is Franglais.
Nikon Review Index >>
Nikon Digital SLR Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Zoom Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Nikkor Prime Lens Reviews >>
Nikon Camera News, Pro Reviews & Articles >>

D5300 and kit lenses

I am planning to buy a D5300 soon. My camera use is mainly outdoors taking photos of birds, critters, landscapes, flowers and bugs (macros).

The kit I am considering has 2 Nikkor lenses;
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

I wonder if I would be better off buying the camera body and a few lenses separately. Any opinions? Suggestions?

I can post a few photos of the type I enjoy taking if it would help. I am currently using a Kodak easyshare and a Canon SX10 (point and shoots). I’m ready for something better.

Thanks
    beljum

Re: D5300 and kit lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Beljum View Post
    I am planning to buy a D5300 soon. My camera use is mainly outdoors taking photos of birds, critters, landscapes, flowers and bugs (macros).

The kit I am considering has 2 Nikkor lenses;
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

I wonder if I would be better off buying the camera body and a few lenses separately. Any opinions? Suggestions?

I can post a few photos of the type I enjoy taking if it would help. I am currently using a Kodak easyshare and a Canon SX10 (point and shoots). I’m ready for something better.

Thanks
    beljum
    You might be wise to buy the d5300 with the 18-55mm only,which will do for landscape. For macro close up consider the 40mm 2.8, not that expensive, and for birds etc consider the 70-300 rather than the 55-300. I'm sure you'll hear from Charles shortly as well.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Thanks for the tips Volks. I like the specs for both your suggestions. I'm sure to get the D5300 body only and choose lenses over time.

bel

Quote Originally Posted by volks View Post
    You might be wise to buy the d5300 with the 18-55mm only,which will do for landscape. For macro close up consider the 40mm 2.8, not that expensive, and for birds etc consider the 70-300 rather than the 55-300. I'm sure you'll hear from Charles shortly as well.
    I did quite a bit of "studying up" on your suggestions and came to the conclusion that yours was sound advice. Last night I ordered a D5300/18-55mm kit and ordered a 70-300mm separately and a 40mm 2.8 separately.
    If I have some reasonable early success, I'll post a few pics. The orders should start rolling in next week sometime.

Thanks
    bel

PS: I came real close to changing my mind and pulling the trigger on a D750. A few days of mulling around my needs brought me back to the D5300. I can always upgrade in a few years if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Beljum View Post
    I did quite a bit of "studying up" on your suggestions and came to the conclusion that yours was sound advice. Last night I ordered a D5300/18-55mm kit and ordered a 70-300mm separately and a 40mm 2.8 separately.
    If I have some reasonable early success, I'll post a few pics. The orders should start rolling in next week sometime.

Thanks
    bel

PS: I came real close to changing my mind and pulling the trigger on a D750. A few days of mulling around my needs brought me back to the D5300. I can always upgrade in a few years if desired.
    Glad my input helped a little. Enjoy your new camera gear.
    Volker
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon P7100
    Nikon 16-80/2.8-4 ED VR
    Nikon 55-200 VR II

Keeping it light and simple.

Charles was out on a shooting in the depths of the Czech Alps with minimal access to Internet. 15 photographers, 12 models, 4 horses, one killer cat - I did about 1500 images on the D7200 with 16-80, 70-200 f4, exclusively outdoors in fairly good light. I've looked briefly at the results and I think that the 70-300 would have done just as well as the 70-200 f4 in the same conditions. Good choice for your usage.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Thread Information