Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Unidentified scarab beetle photographed using an improvised white box

I arrived in Los Cabos after dark, and the first thing I did after I checked-in was to take a walk around the hotel grounds to see what critters I could find. I found two specimens of these beautiful little beetles next to a light set in the ground along the path. I assume the beetles had been attracted by the light. Each beetle was about ½ long (1.25 centimetres) and as you can see, they were a nice mahogany colour. I believe they we some type of scarab beetle, but I have no idea what kind.

I had to made a simple white box out of photocopy paper to take this photo. It had me feeling positively MacGyverish!

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters

beetle in Los Cabos copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Re: Unidentified scarab beetle photographed using an improvised white box

That's beautiful - if a bit creepy - Ernie! The color looks close to perfect this time. I never checked back on the thread where I commented about shooting RAW and white balance. Was that useful to you?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information