Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Tetons / Yellowstone Pending Trip

Planning a trip to Tetons/Yellowstone in mid-August. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay? I am thinking Jackson Hole (where we fly in to). In addition, does anyone have any suggestions for a motel/hotel renting for less than $150 per night? Maybe I should ask where NOT to stay at that price range. I believe we will want to stay in downtown Jackson.

Okay. Now how about suggestions for photo locations? The "famous" barn with the mountains as background? Where is it? River with Tetons as background? Where in Yellowstone? Where other than Old Faithful and other geysers? Are there any "photo maps" of this area?

Re: Tetons / Yellowstone Pending Trip

I have been going to Grand Teton/Yellowstone NP's since 2008 and I am going back this June, August may be a little hot. In Grand Teton I always stay at Signal Mountain Lodge, Jackson hole is a pretty long drive to the good areas of the park. Yellowstone stay at yellowstone Lake lodge DO NOT STAY AT GRANT VILLAGE !!!.

Any where in GT is a prime spot for photos, Moultons barn is what you are looking for iDrive north from Jackson on highway 191 past Moose Junction and turn right onto Antelope Flats Road. Follow the road about 1 ½ miles until you see a north-south running dirt road marked by a distinctive pink stucco house on the left with a small dirt parking area. A trail brochure and interpretive sign can be found at the parking lot. Lots of Bison and Pronghorns here also.

The river is the Snake river it goes thru GT, Yellowstone is a figure 8 and will take all day to do, Lamar and Hayden valleys are a MUST to do Lots of Bison.

Moose are mostly in GT and can be hard to find especially in august.

Bears can be anywhere look for the crowds and traffic (bear jams)

Check out some photos I took

Grand Teton/Yellowstone - a set on Flickr

Re: Tetons / Yellowstone Pending Trip

I don't really have any photo or hotel recommendations for Jackson. But I do recommend that you drive over the pass to the Idaho side of the Tetons. It's a bit more raw and less touristy. I like it a lot.

In Yellowstone, staying at the Old Faithful lodge is neat for a photographer because it allows you to get out early and stay out late for photos. The light in the early morning is especially nice with the steam coming off the hot springs pools.

Looking forward to seeing some photos after your trip!

Tetons / Yellowstone Pending Trip-z3j0339.jpg
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information