Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Spring Bears

Buglin Billy

Spring Bears

I haven't posted on here for a long time but I still have been shooting lots of wildlife photos. Here's some of the bears photos I shot this spring/early summer.

Have a good one. BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED
    50-200mm
    F2.8-3.5 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    90-250mm
    F2.8

A promise made is a debt unpaid!

Re: Spring Bears

That grizzly photo is great! I like the snow in the air. I think that adds a lot. Where did you take all of these? Can you tell us more about the circumstances and the gear you used for each one? I notice that the grizzly image has very nice bokeh but some of the the others are bit funky, like you used a tele-extender or something.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Congratulations on getting the Featured Photo this week! I think this grizzly photo is great!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Buglin Billy

John, I took those bear photos in Yellowstone Park during he first week of June.

I used a Zukio 300-2.8 lens on all the bear shots. The reason the grid seem different than the others is that they were on relatively level ground and thus what you can see in the back ground was a lot father away, whereas most of the black bear photos were taken on a steep hill so he background was very near the subjects, if that makes sense. And no I did not use a teleconverter, as I don't have one.

As side note about the grizzly photos though--------------------One morning as I was driving, I saw a sow and two cubs. Several people has pulled off to look and photograph. So I pulled over to the side of the road and a guy pulled up behind me and parked and jumped out. There was a car in front of me too, and the bears were really pretty close. So I jumped out and got my gear and set my camera on a tripod and just got ready to start shooting (the bears were only 50 yards away). When over a load speaker I hear a voice saying " Who ever owns the Red Silverado from Utah needs to move their vehicle off the road immediately. That happened to be me. My truck was totally off the payment with the exception of just one back tire that was still on the edge of the payment. I ask the guy if I could take just a few photos and then I would move it. He said, "Move it now and then take your photos."{

Buy the time I moved it the bears had moved on down the way, and there were a ton of people by then and so I never got a good close shot. That was my only chance on that whole trip that I saw griz really close.

Here are a few more photos I took at that time, but by then the bears had moved off to about a considerable distance and had to hike down the road quite a ways just to take these distant photos..

Have a good one BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED
    50-200mm
    F2.8-3.5 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    90-250mm
    F2.8

A promise made is a debt unpaid!

GB1

Awesome photos Billy .. LOVE # 2 and 3 from the original post and all the ones with the snow.

Concerning the ranger yelling at you, I know exactly what you mean as I've been read the riot act a few times by over-aggressive security people. I think I would have ignored the order until I got at least a few shots and only responded after he shouted 'You, yeah You' a few times. I mean, not like you were actually blocking the road eh?

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

that is amazing photo

great set and great shots
    well done

Buglin Billy

Have a good one. BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED