Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Snake ID

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Snake ID

Hey folks:

Sorry I haven't been around to post too much recently!

I wondered if our new moderator Paul or anyone could give me an id on this snake I almost stepped on:

Phoenix, AZ; mountain terrain; approx 10 am

Thanks!

And congrats on the cool new forum!

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snake ID-snakey2.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Re: Snake ID

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Hey folks:

Sorry I haven't been around to post too much recently!

I wondered if our new moderator Paul or anyone could give me an id on this snake I almost stepped on:

Phoenix, AZ; mountain terrain; approx 10 am

Thanks!

And congrats on the cool new forum!

Rick

Looks like a Speckled Rattlesnake,Crotalus mitchellii.

Dude you gotta be careful out there! ;)
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I agree
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

There'd a been a good deal more camera shake if it were me taking that shot. This looks like a good ID page to my non herp eyes.
    http://www.reptilesofaz.com/herp-snakes.html
    I was thinking either a Speckled or Western rattlesnake but thought I should let an expert like Almo give a definitive answer. It looks like there's a lot of variation of appearence within a species.
    ----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Chunk
    I was thinking either a Speckled or Western rattlesnake but thought I should let an expert like Almo give a definitive answer.

It looks like there's a lot of variation of appearence within a species.
    Yes indeed, there can be a very dramatic variation in colors from specimen to specimen. With quite a few species you have to look to internal similarities before you can be sure of a true ID.
    John Cowan
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
    ~Ernest Hemingway~

I never thought PA had rattlesnakes, until while fishing one day I was stepping over a fence and suddenly heard something. Looking down I found a rattlesnake right below my foot what do as I tried to raise my leg back over the fence it struck my boot (undersole fortunately) and my girlfriend at the time decided to get out of the boat to see what was going o n. Fortunately she came up the embankment and saw what was up calmly walked back to the boat, got my .38 and brought it up to me. You know how hard it is to aim a snub nose .38 while half over a fence and trying NOT to shoot yourself in the foot? About that time a park ranger comes up, he knew immediately what was up and had a shotgun ready.... oh great. He told me to go ahead and shoot it so I did. Afterwards he laughed and said they kill 100 a week but they just keep coming back. We decided that we'ed go do something else that day..... and went to the target range That girl was a good shot too!
    So whats more dangerous:
    A rattlesnake ?
    B a bleach blonde with a gun?

I vote for B!

JS

Holy God!

So I almost stepped on a rattler huh? Great. I never heard a rattle so I assumed he was something else Great now I'm never stepping outside my door again.

Thanks guys

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Re: Holy God!

I lived in Wickenburg AZ for 2 years as a youth. I came across many a rattlesnake at very close range and never got bit. A rattlesnake will only bite you if it has no other choice, as it uses that venom to feed itself! Stepping one one or inadvertenly touching putting yourself close might make it bite you., but remember that not every bite will envenomate you ;) They do just bite you and not inject venom(dry bite) at times.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    I lived in Wickenburg AZ for 2 years as a youth. I came across many a rattlesnake at very close range and never got bit. A rattlesnake will only bite you if it has no other choice, as it uses that venom to feed itself! Stepping one one or inadvertenly touching putting yourself close might make it bite you., but remember that not every bite will envenomate you ;) They do just bite you and not inject venom(dry bite) at times.
    Paul - that's good to know Makes me feel better about leaving the house now lol

Know much about scorpions?

Rick
    Walter Rick Long

Quote Originally Posted by walterick
    Paul - that's good to know Makes me feel better about leaving the house now lol

Know much about scorpions?

Rick
    scorpions are mostly nocturnal I do believe and their sting is no more harmful than a bee's sting in your area ;) I caught many rattlesnakes, gila monsters, scorpions, tarantulas....... in my day pal I have only been stung by a scorpion once(I stepped on it barefoot and it hurts) and was bitten a few times by tarantulas(hurts).

OH wait snake bites you ask... got bit in the face once by a 17 foot retic, many bites from burmese pythons, once got bit by a monacle cobra on my hand(devenomized though)

I am not fearful of animals of any kind! I have rescued many a mastiff type that hated males and have been bitten , only to get a shot / some stitches and keep loving them.

I am an animal lover ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

I am an animal lover ;)
    That's why you're our mod!

I wan't too sure about scorpions being lethal or not. Good to hear. We found one in our garage the other day. Dunked him water to drown him and a day later he was still alive? Hmm. Anyway, my gf saw a tarantula but I haven't run across those yet. We have many coyote running around in the preserve behind our house I'll try and get a pic of one of them sometime. Still gotta grab a cactus dove for ya too

Where about in Arizona did you live? Near Sedona? Beauiful country up there! Lovin it here!

Rick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snake ID-sedona4.jpg  
    Walter Rick Long

I have vacationed in Sedona, but I lived in Wickenburg AZ(Maricopa county) when I was young. The town is right up 93 from Pheonix(maybe an hour with traffic)

Tarantulas are great to have, as are scorpions! They eat smaller insects(roaches, and such)

Rattlesnakes are great too, as they keep rodents in check ;)

BTW... cactus WREN or white winged DOVE
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

I have vacationed in Sedona, but I lived in Wickenburg AZ(Maricopa county) when I was young. The town is right up 93 from Pheonix(maybe an hour with traffic)

Tarantulas are great to have, as are scorpions! They eat smaller insects(roaches, and such)

Rattlesnakes are great too, as they keep rodents in check ;)

BTW... cactus WREN or white winged DOVE
    Oh, yeah... heh heh yeah I knew that LOL

I leave the birding up to the masters!

I wasn't sure where Wickenburg was. Now I see it on a map. I haven't been out that far yet, just mainly north and east. Anything worthwhile to see or shoot around there?

Yeah I definitely have an appreciation for the balance of life, including the ecosystem. Life will take care of itself, if left alone to do so. So I bless all the little stingey critters that live here in the desert with us!
    Walter Rick Long

Pentax Forum Moderator

hehe...I was born and raised in AZ as I've mentioned before. Since I was young enough to remember, I used to catch rattlers, scorpions, tarantulas, black widows, etc, etc, etc. But on a more serious note. all of the poisonous critters, can kill the sick or the young, and even occasionally the healthy adults if not properly treated. I've never been bitten by anything except a black widow, which did nothing but make a very sore red mark. Many people in AZ are bitten by them while they sleep and rarely have anything more than that. Best thing to do is to not panic when you find something and treat it with respect. Most of the time it will leave you alone if you don't try to bother it, but surprising a rattlesnake is something that is always dangerous and unpredictable. So, enjoy the beautiful AZ outdoors, be wary, but not afraid. If you or your girls get bit, don't panic, just get help as soon as possible. All AZ emergency rooms are prepared with antivenom. But make sure you know what bit you as sometimes it is helpful.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Well as you can imagine......

only thing out there is dirt, sand, a lake, cacti and free range cattle ;) OH and old Mc Donald's farm ;)

Did I mention a lot of my mother's family lives there and her maiden name is McDonald

I know there is a small preserve there, but nothing that great.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information