Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Sloan Lake

Sloan Lake

This is from a hike I did with my family on Saturday in American Basin which is near Lake City, Colorado. This lake is amazing and almost glows green when the sun hits it.
    I took this as six individual vertically oriented exposures and stitched them in Photoshop. Then I ran the resulting image through the Nik Color Efx plugin in Lightroom.

IMGP0499-Edit by MattB.net, on Flickr

Re: Sloan Lake

very nice pano

I use color efex a lot, lately I tend to reduce the effect on clouds , on your image they look almost like a paint

I was trying to figure out how to say that. I didn't care for the cloud appearance. It's almost like a composite, as if the landscape were pasted onto a cloud shot. (The reflection would make that a nice trick, though!!)

I like the landscape very much, but the sky.

The stitching is well done. I guess you were shooting a plan for that? Were you on a tripod?

When I get into situation where I decide a pano would work, I always have an issue with camera elevation just working handheld. One shot is too high, or one is twisted, and it throws the whole thing off.

Thanks guys. The effect in the sky is from the Color Efx Pro "Detail Extractor" effect and it does kind of make it look like a HDR. I like it for some shots but not all. I thought it worked well enough here since the landscape was so otherworldly but I think like HDR it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I shot this handheld with a pano in mind. I have had trouble staying level before too but if I really think about it I can stay reasonably level. Shooting vertically also helps give some room for error at the top and bottom. It wasn't perfect but a little cropping makes that issue go away. I often bring a tripod and almost always do if I'm solo but with my family I just wanted to keep the kit a little smaller, lighter, and simpler.

Thread Information