Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

scarlet kingsnake

Hey all, I found this little guy on my kitchen floor about a week ago! Don't ask how he got there.(I'm wondering that myself) Before I handled him I had to check real quick to see if it was a coral snake. I can never remember the saying, "black touches red your dead" or something like that. I finally got him to feed so I think he will be good to go!
    Sorry for the second shot, I just wanted to show his unusual patterning.
    Thanks for looking:thumbsup:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scarlet kingsnake-scarlet-kingsnake-1-2-w.jpg   scarlet kingsnake-scarlet-kingsnake-pattern-.jpg  
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

Re: scarlet kingsnake

You needed both shots Baldo....one for the size..and one for the mutant markings. I would have had to look it up also, cause I can never remember either. My husband would have run screaming from the room, due to extreme snake fright. We did find a gecko on our kitchen floor just last week...so I understand. Thanks for sharing him with us. dana

BTW...he goes nicely with my avatar

red touches yellow, kills a fellow, Red touches black venom lack ( or your ok jack)

very nice marking to.... you released him or kept him?
    check out my photography website
    http://dylanschneider.zenfolio.com/

Please feel free to edit or change any of my pictures to show me how to improve them.

Nikon D200
    Nikon D7000 w/grip
    Nikkor AF-S 18-135
    Nikkor AF-S 60mm macro 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr
    Nikon tc-17eII
    Kenoko extension tube set
    SB-600

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Cute little fella. Thanks for putting the size reference.

Dylan - thanks for the clarification on that saying. I too was having some difficulty recalling the phrase. I kept coming back to "red touches black, your name is Jack". When venomous snakes are concerned, one should be really sure that the phrase is right

thanks for sharing.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Dana- Yeah, I know what your talking about. My wife had the same reaction!

Dylan- Yeah thanks for the clearing that up for us! As far as keeping him, I will probably keep him through his first shedding. Which shouldnt be too long since he is feeding so well.

Loupey- Ya know its funny that they make a saying to help clarify species, but theres so many different ways to say it!! I seem to remember, " if the nose is black, get back!"
    thanks for the comments!!:thumbsup:

nice shots. thats a small snake, must be a baby?

and as for the sayin, i just heard it on tv the other day, haha.
    red on black, youre ok jack. red on yellow, youre a dead fellow.
    at least thats how steve irwins wife said it, lol.

Of course, once you are out of the states, all bets are off - there are a whole slew of central and south american venomous snakes where the saying doesn't hold true.

Just a question, what on earth are you feeding it? I've fed tiny milksnakes the TAILS of frozen mice until they were large enough to take whole baby mice, but I can't imagine what a person without a bevy of frozen rodents would do. Also it is not common for scarlet kings to feed well in captivity, so if it does eat well, keep it. :thumbsup:
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Slayer- yes he's a hatchling. Probably no more than a few days old when I found him.

Sushigaijin- Ive been feeding him very small, live lizards that I catch in the yard.(they're everywhere). I was surprised that he was so easy to get feeding. I put them in a feeding cup and within 5 minutes, the lizard was "on its way down". I called a friend of mine who has tons of experience with wild caught snakes, and he told me to try lizard tails.He said that in the wild, lizards are their food of choice, even as adults.:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by big baldo
    Slayer- yes he's a hatchling. Probably no more than a few days old when I found him.

Sushigaijin- Ive been feeding him very small, live lizards that I catch in the yard.(they're everywhere). I was surprised that he was so easy to get feeding. I put them in a feeding cup and within 5 minutes, the lizard was "on its way down". I called a friend of mine who has tons of experience with wild caught snakes, and he told me to try lizard tails.He said that in the wild, lizards are their food of choice, even as adults.:thumbsup:
    That makes complete sense - which is another reason why people don't usually keep scarlet kings, they are excruciatingly frustrating to get eating mice.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Very cool house guest!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information