Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

The Rockies from 6 miles up.

Jim
    "Funky Monkey" tops the charts at MacIdol.com for over 60 months.
    Listen to my music here.

Re: The Rockies from 6 miles up.

Beautiful and awe-inspiring. Love it,

Nice shot.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Where is this might I ask? I know you were in a plane.

Pretty nice for a through the window shot might I add ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Where is this might I ask? I know you were in a plane.

Pretty nice for a through the window shot might I add ;)
    It was on a flight out of Las Vegas heading to Milwaukee, just exactly where this shot was taken I can't say. The plane was a brand spanking new Boeing 717 so the windows were still pretty free from scratches. The day was really clear, not much moisture in the air. It was around 5PM in the afternoon. The photo was 1/320 sec @ f5.6, ISO 80.

I also was surprised that the "through the window" shot turned out as well as it did. I'm fascinated by the geology of the planet so it doesn't take a lot to impress me though.

Here is another and a shot of a piece of the Grand Canyon. I suppose I should really take these into Photoshop and see if I could polish them a bit.

Jim
    Listen to my music here.

Great shots! I love the colors, the broad expanse, and the geology.

You said you were in a new Boeing 717? Never heard of it. So I did a quick google search. Apparently it is a follow on to the DC-9, MD88, MD90 line of twin engine jets. And it is also now out of production! If you were in a new one, it must have been one of the last to roll off the assembly line. Nice to have clean, clear windows!!!
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    Great shots! I love the colors, the broad expanse, and the geology.

You said you were in a new Boeing 717? Never heard of it. So I did a quick google search. Apparently it is a follow on to the DC-9, MD88, MD90 line of twin engine jets. And it is also now out of production! If you were in a new one, it must have been one of the last to roll off the assembly line. Nice to have clean, clear windows!!!
    Actually the airline, Midwest Airlines, has purchased 25 of them over the past two years and has orders for delivery for 25 over the next two years. Even though Boeing is not continuing to market the plane they are still being made.

Nice short haul plane IMO. Midwest outfits it with 88 seats in a two across leather package with the largest pitch (33-34") in the industry. Lots of passenger room. I love this airline.

They are usually the #1 pick by Conde Nast, Travel&Leisure Magazine and the Zagat Airline Survey. The hot Chocolate chip cookies baked fresh on the plane are so good. End of commercial. ;)

Thanks for the compliments.
    Jim
    Listen to my music here.

LOVE Midwest! They're never the cheapest, but you can almost always find a non-stop, which makes the extra $30 or so worth every penny.

I also love taking geology shots from airplanes. I probably have several hundred megabytes of them from all the trips I've taken. What's toughest is to get rid of the blue-ish atmospheric haze from every pic, whether the window is scratch-free or not. (I never have a problem with visible flaws on my shots even where the windows are fairly scratched up.)

Kudos on these. I'm especially jealous of your Grand Canyon shot. I've flown over it three times: once I was on the wrong side of the plane, once it was cloudy, and the last time (this past October) I was on the right side of the plane on a cloudless day and everything, but we flew over it just as the sun was going down. It was just too dark to get anything recoverable. Waaah!
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by kellybean
    LOVE Midwest! They're never the cheapest, but you can almost always find a non-stop, which makes the extra $30 or so worth every penny.

I also love taking geology shots from airplanes. I probably have several hundred megabytes of them from all the trips I've taken. What's toughest is to get rid of the blue-ish atmospheric haze from every pic, whether the window is scratch-free or not. (I never have a problem with visible flaws on my shots even where the windows are fairly scratched up.)

Kudos on these. I'm especially jealous of your Grand Canyon shot. I've flown over it three times: once I was on the wrong side of the plane, once it was cloudy, and the last time (this past October) I was on the right side of the plane on a cloudless day and everything, but we flew over it just as the sun was going down. It was just too dark to get anything recoverable. Waaah!
    I've flown over the Rockies, dozens of times as well (on Midwest). I think this was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I shot these with an Olympus C50Z P&S. If I had known ahead of time that the conditions would be so good, I'd have taken a camera with a UV filter. I have a bunch of shots too but these were among the best. On my last flight I was on the wrong side of the plane and missed a tremendous flaming red-orange sunset. The colors were unearthly. Wish these planes had an observation deck.
    Jim
    Listen to my music here.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Your shots make me homesick!!! I, like you, have flown out of LV many times, as well as Phoenix and LAX, headed east!!! I love the view over the rockies and especially the grand canyon!!! Actually, I've only seen one other range that was better, and that was a few years ago when I flew back from Alaska. I may have to dig out the cd's and find some of those and post them. Beautiful shots...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Thread Information