Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

portrait of a lionfish (pic)

This portrait of a lionfish (Pterois volitans) is—somewhat surprisingly—the first photo of a fish that I have posted on my blog. This is another picture that I took over 20 years ago and had scanned and digitized (from a Fujichrome 50 slide). I chose to scan this slide both because of what was good about it, and what was bad. The composition is nice, and the contrast between the fish with its bold stripes and the black background is quite striking. However, the colour of the fish was overly muted and the resolution was not optimal as a result of shooting the animal through very thick glass in a public aquarium. The glass also wasn’t clean. I was curious to see what I could do to improve the picture digitally and in so doing, practice my Photoshop technique. This photo was the result.

The unedited scanned version of the picture and a step-by-step summary of what I did is on my blog.

Cheers,
    EC
    macrocritters

lionfish copyright Ernie Cooper 2012 hard pass sm for post by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Re: portrait of a lionfish (pic)

It's a nice shot. Great composition.

Re: portrait of a lionfish (pic)

Quote Originally Posted by randimal View Post
    It's a nice shot. Great composition.
    Thanks!

EC
    macrocritters

Thread Information