Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Planet Earth on the Discovery Channel

Has anyone been watching the series Planet Earth on the Discovery Channel? I have seen a couple shows, and the footage is incredible! It took over 5 years to film, and they visited over 200 locations.

You can learn more about the show at www.planet-earth.com
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Planet Earth on the Discovery Channel

Yes it was a series here, the second series finished about a month ago, it is an incredible programme, the book is brilliant too, i loved the one about the snow leopards.
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

An EXCELLENT documentary indeed!

I saw the 3 part sequence last week. Don't know if I'll be able to watch tonight's episodes (been stuck at work all weekend - not a frame to be shot )

The documentary is exceptionally filmed and the actions caught are awe-inspiring. A must-see for everyone!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Watched it tonight, AWESOME! :thumbsup: The Discovery and History channels are the only television channels I watch... and once in awhile, TV Land (love Bonanza, and Gun Smoke :blush2: ).

Oh Little Joe doesnt look the same today does he!! I loved Bonanza when it was on and Horse, well he reminded me of an Uncle i had. Lol.
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

I know I am bringing up an old thread but this thread is what got me to dvr planet earth. I have seen about 5 of the 11 that I have sitting on my dvr. This past sunday it was on all day and I finally got all the episodes. I do have to say that the penguins in antartica are right up on top of my favorites, then I seen the bird of paridise episode and that was just amazing footage there. 8 - 10 hours a day for 8 weeks to get that ... was that loupey out there ??

this is a great show / documentary and if anyone has yet to see it ... take some time out and watch it .. you won't be disappointed
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

The birds of paradise are amazing! I think they said that they were from New Guinea. I never knew that birds like that even existed!:thumbsup: Did anyone else watch the one on the Harpy E:thumbsup: agle and that little "swimming deer"? Absolutely amazing.
    Life's a garden, Dig it. -Joe Dirt

Quote Originally Posted by big baldo
    The birds of paradise are amazing! I think they said that they were from New Guinea. I never knew that birds like that even existed!:thumbsup: Did anyone else watch the one on the Harpy E:thumbsup: agle and that little "swimming deer"? Absolutely amazing.
    The birds of paradise were pretty cool! I don't think I have seen the Harpy one, or the deer one yet. My favorite scene so far are the super slow motion shot of the shark exploding out of the water as it attacks its prey. I'm going to order the 5 DVD set one of these days.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I'm enjoying the show as well and I better double check it is not getting erased off the DVR.

Hopefully they will offer the show in BluRay and/or HDDVD. DVD won't have the same quality as the HD broadcast.

I'm even more excited to see the behind the scenes footage at the end of the show. I like watching about the what the production team has to go through to get the shot.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

I just picked up the 5 DVD boxed set, with an hour and a half of bonus behind-the-scenes footage, for $51.99. Initially, I balked at the price, but when I considered what went into making this series, I guess it was justified. Interestingly, while the Discovery channel carried the series here in America, it's actually a BBC production.

- Joe U.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    I just picked up the 5 DVD boxed set, with an hour and a half of bonus behind-the-scenes footage, for $51.99. Initially, I balked at the price, but when I considered what went into making this series, I guess it was justified. Interestingly, while the Discovery channel carried the series here in America, it's actually a BBC production.

- Joe U.

Where did you get the box set for that price? I have only looked at the Discovery Channel site and they have it listed for $80.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

I missed all of it ...I'll have to remember to catch the rerun
    ~And this is a good day~

~Yes please,..ask me if you can edit my photos. The need help.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Where did you get the box set for that price? I have only looked at the Discovery Channel site and they have it listed for $80.
    Costco Wholesale.

-Joe U.

Quote Originally Posted by Medley
    Costco Wholesale.

-Joe U.
    Thanks Joe! For anyone interested, here is a link to the DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray-DVD.

I realize the image quality is going to be better on the HD and BR discs, but will either of them play in a standard DVD player? I'm sure I wouldn't see the improved image quality without an HD TV and player, but I'm wondering about purchasing the higher quality discs, and being able to watch them now, and they sometime in the future, upgrading to HD TV and HD or BR DVD player.
    Last edited by mjs1973; 04-27-2007 at 10:29 AM.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

HD or BR DVD will not work on a standard DVD player. Players are at an average of $500 now. They are quickly going down from their $1000 highs a few months ago. I'd rather get a PS3 when I make the switch to Blu-Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Thanks Joe! For anyone interested, here is a link to the DVD, HD-DVD, and Blue Ray-DVD.

I realize the image quality is going to be better on the HD and BR discs, but will either of them play in a standard DVD player? I'm sure I wouldn't see the improved image quality without an HD TV and player, but I'm wondering about purchasing the higher quality discs, and being able to watch them now, and they sometime in the future, upgrading to HD TV and HD or BR DVD player.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=8785458

1$ cheaper and free shipping ... I have ordered from deepdiscountdvd before and they are great.. even had to return an item that was a duplicate gift with no issues ...
    Ben

Bodies: Nikon D300 - Nikon D50

Lenses: Nikkor 50mm f1.8 D - Tamron 17mm - 50mm F2.8 - Nikon 70mm - 200mm F2.8 VR - Nikon 1.7 Teleconverter

Lighting: Nikon SB600 speedlight - AlienBees (2) B400's - Polaris Flash Meter

Stabalization: Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod - Manfrotto 3265 joystick head

Quote Originally Posted by WsW-WYATT-EARP
    http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewprod...ductId=8785458

1$ cheaper and free shipping ... I have ordered from deepdiscountdvd before and they are great.. even had to return an item that was a duplicate gift with no issues ...

Sweet! Thanks for the link.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

Aldo Leopold

Lovely channel

I love literally every project from Discovery, never had any issue with these guys. Of course, I saved their customer service contacts https://discovery-channel.pissedcons...r-service.html just in case, but I even never used it because of the flawless service.

The information from you shared is a vast knowledge and everyone should read to be more open-minded. I am very grateful for that. paper io 2

Your information

Thread Information