Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Newbie! Wanted to share my first photo here!

Hello everyone! My name is Heather and i am new to the forum! My favorite thing to take pictures of are birds so i figured i would share my first picture here! I have been a bird watcher for years, its a wondeful way to pass the time! Hope you like it!

My favorite so far this year

Re: Newbie! Wanted to share my first photo here!

Nice preening shot

Just a recommendation, but you may want to put the watermark in a place where it doesn't interfere as much with the viewing of the image.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CaraRose
    Nice preening shot

Just a recommendation, but you may want to put the watermark in a place where it doesn't interfere as much with the viewing of the image.

I agree....

Nice capture and pose! Would be nice to see a larger pic posted for a better view.
    Welcome to the forum!

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Hello and welcome to the site!

Hope you stay awhile, have a few drinks, share some images and stories, and teach as much as you learn.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Very nice! Welcome. - Terry
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Very nice shot Terry, welcome to the forum.

Thanks everyone....Next time ill move the watermark. I thought it was transparent enough....I had my pics up on a site at 1 time and had the watermark at the bottom...someone deciede to cut out the watermark and use it for themselves without my premission so i have been watermarking them in the middle lately. Ill move it next time!

you can see more on my website if you like.
    www.hkurtzphoto.com

Lightbulb Re: Newbie! Wanted to share my first photo here!

Quote Originally Posted by hakurtz
    Thanks everyone....Next time ill move the watermark. I thought it was transparent enough....I had my pics up on a site at 1 time and had the watermark at the bottom...someone deciede to cut out the watermark and use it for themselves without my premission so i have been watermarking them in the middle lately. Ill move it next time!

you can see more on my website if you like.
    www.hkurtzphoto.com
    hakurtz, I have seen recent discussions on another forum about protecting ones images and the consensus was that it is almost impossible to protect an image, if someone wants to steal it. Adobe's new Photoshop CS5 has a new feature called Context Awareness and from what I have read, it only takes one or two actions to remove a watermark and the photo is no longer protected. If you know who took it and the website webmaster, you can write them (the webmaster) a letter indicating that the image does not belong to the poster and ask that it be removed. Some websites will comply, some won't. If you discover that they, the one who took your image, are making money, then you can threaten to sue, but that is an extreme action if it comes to that. About the only defense you have is to make your posted image so small that someone wanting to take it cannot do anything with it. For example, reducing the pixel dimensions to 640x480 pixels when saving for the web will make the image too small to get anything at a decent resolution. Even at a resolution of 200 pixels per inch, the best they can get is a print that is about 3.2" x 2.4", hardly useful for very much. On the other hand if all they are going to do is display it one their own website, then there really isn't much you can do except ask the webmaster to take it down indicating that it was improperly removed from your posting. Not sure if this helps, but such are the problems of this electronic age. :mad2:

Regards,

WesternGuy

P.S. I had a look at your website gallleries and they look great. Beautiful images, particularly the nature ones as that is where I also tend ot specialize - nature and landscapes - you have good stuff posted!!

Thank you very much for the info westernguy! and thank you for the kind words about my images! I take alot of pride in it...tho i am still pretty new to the world of photography I am pretty happy with the images i have produced so far! These forums are so helpful in learning new stuff as well! I took my first batch of shots today all in manual, i sat in my yard and tried different shutter speeds and ISO and all that stuff just to see what they did! I got some wonderful shots of my sunflower! i added them to my nature album on the website....its the last 4 or 5 as well as my new home page photo. When i uploaded them to the comp i was so proud of how they looked! LOL Thanks again so much!

Thread Information