Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

My year in review.

The end of the year is upon us and I sure didn't get out as much as previous years. Due to the price of gas, among other things, I did very little traveling for photo purposes. I didn't even make many of my usual 60 mile drives around here. I even sold my 50D, but my 30D still does the job. In fact, I just bought a second one to have on hand just in case I have something planned and something happens to the other one. I did get a few shots I was happy with, for one reason or another. The following are from June on. In summary, not a lot of outstanding photos for the year, but a few firsts.

Due to it facing me, this is my favorite pheasant shot, even with the weed in front of his breast.

This was my first mink. I did make a trek over to NWR for a day of fun.

I went back again a week later in hopes of finding an otter. No otter, but I did find another mink.

This Rusty Blackbird was a first sighting for me, also at the NWR.

A cormorant from the same NWR.

Quite a few of these egrets at the NWR. This is my first environmental shot of these in trees.

Yep, a crow. Actually, this is the first time I've ever taken a pic of a crow.

I consider this my prettiest shot of 2011. This Harris sparrow was in my Amur Maple just before the leaves fell.

Last, but not least, I found this Great Gray at the Sax Zim Bog in northern Minnesota June. I was forced to go to a friend's wedding with my wife in Duluth, so the next day I made my wife accompany me to the bog and I got lucky finding this owl. It's not the greatest photo due to the lighting, but I'm still thrilled with it.

Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Re: My year in review.

Nice set....HAPPY NEW YEAR!

An impressive set of images. I love the way the Grey Owl is partially camouflaged against the tree.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Some great finds you got in 2011 and that great grey is to die for!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

The owl shot is awesome. Nemesis bird for me. I'm going to find one this year.

Thanks for the comments. I'm still waiting for winter to arrive in northern Minnesota so I can head up there for some owl hunting. Then again, maybe winter will miss us this year.
    Mike
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Not sure how I missed this thread before, but glad I found it now. Congrats on the featured photo Mike. I really like the GGO image but the sparrow is my favorite.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Thanks Mike. I'm kind of torn between the GGO and Sparrow. The GGO was more exciting, but the Harris is technically a better photo, due to the favorable light.
    Mike

Buglin Billy

I love your owl photo. Its awesome.

When I was younger and never carried a camera, I saw lots of owls but now I'm out a lot and I never see one. Hopefully my time will come as they are such neat birds. Have a good one. BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED