Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

My Ultra High Tech Waterproof Cover

I've used this a couple times, the last time was an hour in a steady drizzle with nary a drop underneath.

Gander Mountain sells a jacket/pants rainsuit set for $9.99. Snip off the pant legs to your desired length and secure with a rubber band at the end of lens (better if you use a lens hood). The other end (knee end) fits neatly over a 30D without battery grip - although a grip would probably still fit - I just don't have one to know for sure.

Cut a hole in the bottom for the tripod mount. The thinness of the PVC allows good tactile feel of all the knobs, AF/IS switches, and focus/zoom rings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Ultra High Tech Waterproof Cover-cover-1.jpg   My Ultra High Tech Waterproof Cover-cover-2.jpg   My Ultra High Tech Waterproof Cover-cover-3.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: My Ultra High Tech Waterproof Cover

So for 10 bucks, you can get two sets out of it, a fully functional jacket, and a waterproof shorts (even if the legs are not the same length )!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Ultra High Tech Waterproof Cover-cover-4.jpg  

See my website HERE.

LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol: You can start a fashion trend around here with those shorts :lol: Great idea BTW! I mean the cover for the camera... not the shorts :lol:

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Good idea Loupey. I made my own camo rain cover a couple months ago. I used a $5 camo poncho I got at walmart, along with some self adheisive (sp) velco and it works great! I left mine pretty big so I could get my head under it, and also so it would help to hide my tripod and my legs when I'm sitting and waiting for something to come along. Here is a shot of mine, with my 170-500mm lens extended all the way to 500mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Ultra High Tech Waterproof Cover-img_0160.jpg  
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Warped minds think alike, Michael :thumbsup:

So let's see your shorts

See my website HERE.

looks great, make sure you don't set it down in the woods, might have a hard time finding it. :-)

I've just been using a shower cap to rain-proof mine, so far so good...although I must admit that I hesitate to go out in the rain, with or without the camera!!
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Ah, mine didn't come with any of those fancy shorts, but I did end up with a hooded cape!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I just got back from Wal-Mart, no camo plastic pants or ponchos however they did have camo pajamas :lol:

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

That quite a popular setup(rain coat) in a pinch amoung nature photogs. I have seen people with 300/400 f2.8's in plastic grocery bags
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I was actually at the sporting goods store on a tip from my friendly camera shop folks to use "neck gaiters" that hunters use for warmth/waterproofing. They were $20 or so and I figured that a $10 outfit would be better.

And I'll be stylin' with matching shorts.

See my website HERE.

I made one of these covers for my camera recently. tested it out today. i find it hard to focus/zoom with the cover plus the rubber band over the lens hood seems to loosen the lens hood as i zoom in and out. any suggestions?

55 Gallon trash bags and a couple rubber bands here. Keep 2 in my bag at all times. covers the 600mm just fine, and costs a heckuva lot less than those waterproof camera covers

Hey, I haven't seen this in a long time! Boy I was a dork back then - glad to see that I've grown up since then

slayer - I assume you are using a push/pull zoom? Try bunching up the legs, er, material up towards the front of the lens so that when you zoom/focus there is enough material to twist and move before it starts to tug at the rubber band.

Depending on how your zoom operates, you may need to make this rig out of two pieces. A smaller cover that secures at the hood on one end and secures at the other end, perhaps just behind the zoom ring, with another rubber band. Then a second larger cover that shrouds the camera and overlaps the first by a couple inches. You'll just have to hold it angled down slightly when not using it so that water doesn't drip "against the grain".

Beyond that, I'll have to charge an Engineering Fee

Let us know what works for you.

See my website HERE.

thanks loupey. i'll mess around with it. i have a whole other pant leg plus the 2 sleeves from the jacket. i guess its all trial and error, seeing what works best.

See, you get 4 covers for the price of one! And you will end up with a waterproof vest and shorts

Did you get the camo version? Because I have a vision of what the final outfit will look like

See my website HERE.

haha, i dooo have the camo version. what an outfit that would make, and not just for the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Canon_Bob
    55 Gallon trash bags and a couple rubber bands here. Keep 2 in my bag at all times. covers the 600mm just fine, and costs a heckuva lot less than those waterproof camera covers

Me too I do vary between green for fields, forrests, white for snow, and black for night work :lol: I attach mine with black, green, or white tape or if I'm feeling rich transparent tape, seems to cost more than the others.

Cost 1p approx 1.5cents US.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Thread Information