Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

My favorite models

I love these little critters. We have set out an extra feeder, and planted plants that's supposed to attract them, hoping to bring more. Last year we started with two (1 male and 1 female), and towards the end of the season, we had four. I think the other two that showed up were the babies of the first two, that had fledged, and was learning to feed themselves. I say this because sometimes one would land on the feeder's rest, and just sit there, like it was wondering "what do I do now?"

Gripped Nikon D7000~Nikkor 18-105mm~Tamron 70-300mm VC~Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro~SB-900~Ring Light

Re: My favorite models

I've only seen 2 in my life . Those were in another country . Love the pics
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Put a feeder out, and within a couple of weeks, at the latest, you should have some hummers coming around. Once they find your feeder, they'll come around regularly. Do an online search for hummingbirds, and read up on them.

Change to fresh mix of nectar every 3-4 days. Once it gets real hot, I change it every three days. Clean feeder when you are ready to put fresh mix in. Don't use the red stuff. They've found it's not good for the birds. Use a four to one mix of water and table sugar. Heat water, add sugar and dissolve, let cool, and add to feeder.
    Gripped Nikon D7000~Nikkor 18-105mm~Tamron 70-300mm VC~Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro~SB-900~Ring Light

Great shots !!

is this with natural light ?
    how far away from the feeder are you?
    I guess you have a hideout ?

Quote Originally Posted by armando_m View Post
    Great shots !!

is this with natural light ?
    how far away from the feeder are you?
    I guess you have a hideout ?
    LOL..........all four of those pictures were taken through our dining room window. I'm usually about 8-10 ft. away. When I try to get closer, they fly off.

This is one I got while sitting outside in a lawn chair, about 20 ft. away

I have stood beside the feeder (within a foot) for a little while. The bird will finally fly up close to it, checking me out. I stand real still. It will finally come up and drink, but is fussing at me between sips.

Thread Information