Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Muley Buck

Buglin Billy

Muley Buck

Have a good one. BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED
    50-200mm
    F2.8-3.5 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    90-250mm
    F2.8

A promise made is a debt unpaid!

Re: Muley Buck

Awesome. And a little scary. I wonder how many wildlife photographers get injured by animals?

Buglin Billy

ranimall, I find it quite strange you made that remark on that particular photo.

And here's why I say that.

I was out taking photos of mule deer that day and saw a very nice, high, heavy horned buck tending a doe on a ridge about 100 yards above me. When he walked out of sight I hurried up the hill thinking I might be able to get a really close photo of him, but by the time I got there he had moved some 150 yards. But I could see another buck just 100 yards away (the buck in the photo to which you were referring). When he saw me, he headed straight for me and when he got about 40 yards away I began taking photos of him. When he got 25 yards away those points began to look pretty sharp and since he was not acting like most buck deer, I, for the first time in my life with a deer, became concerned. I took the above photo at about 20 yards and when he kept heading straight for me, I put down my camera and started yelling at him and stomping my feet. He then stopped, ate a bit of snow and just stared at me. I slowly retreated and moved back down the hill.

I spend a lot of time in the wilds with wild animals, as that is what really turns me on. I like all wild subjects, like birds, and small critters, but large wildlife is what I enjoy photographing the most.

Through the years I have had several very harrowing experiences, but have never actually been hurt.

But about five years ago I saw the moose I will post below on a steep, snow covered hill. I hiked up towards him and began to take some photos. I would take a few photos and then move closer. Once I got to about 20 yards, I could tell he was not a happy camper. I was in a great position to get a great photo, with the exception of one branch being in the way. So I walked forward a couple of paces, ducked under the branch and when I stood up to take a photo, he charged me. I turned to run, hit the branch I just ducked under and fell. By that time he had run right up to me and and had his horns down. I jumped up and got behind a tree and he just stood there. I moved to a farther tree and ended up getting my butt out of there and luckily he just stood there. Of all the critters I photograph, moose concern me the most.

On a different occasion I was out early one morning taking photos in Idaho when I looked up and saw a bear. It wasn't long after daylight, so the light was not great for taking photos, but I took a few of him at about 25 yards. Soon he began circling me and each circle became tighter and tighter. I have spent many years around bears, so they really don't scare me much, but as he got closer and closer with each circle, I became very concerned when I stomped and yelled at him and he just kept walking around me.

I was in a timber area and I slowly walked over and picked up a piece of down fall not quite the size of a bat. When I his circles kept getting closer and turned towards me, I stepped towards him and swung the stick, just barley hitting him on the tip of his nose. He jumped on a tree just yards behind him and with the stick in one hand and my camera in the other, I took his photo hanging on that tree, at about eye level. I finally headed towards the tree swinging the stick and yelling and he ended up climbing the tree. But every time I would start to walk way, (to get out of the area) he would start to climb back down so would return and hit the tree with my stick and yell at him.

Finally after about 1/2 hour or so it lightened some and I ended up getting some decent photos of him. Once I got him high in the tree by throwing sticks, small rocks etc. I finally was able to get out of there.

I have never been hurt, and I can't answer your question, but I am sure there have been some.

Here's the last photo of the moose before he charged, and next photo. albeit it a poor photo is the bear hanging on the tree just after I hit his nose with my protection. Ha Ha

Photobucket

I just recently switched from a pc to mac computer and I purchased a time capsule to store my old photos on, but can't seem to get to come up right now. I thought I had the bear photo in Photobucket, but I don't and my dogs are telling me its time for their long walk which we do every day. But when I get back I will find that bear photo and post it either later today or tomorrow.

Have a good one. BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED
    50-200mm
    F2.8-3.5 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    90-250mm
    F2.8

What a story !!!

1st shot is great !!!
    I edited it to put the black point on one of the eyes and I think it improved a lot removing a somewhat blueish haze

2nd shot , wow, he was really on top of you !

Buglin Billy

I found my bear photos and here's the one I took just after I had hit him with my stick and when he first jumped onto the tree. His eyes and my eyes are about the same height and he is probably just 5 or 6 yards away on this shot.

I took photos all the time he was circling me until he got too close and I felt like I had to pick up the stick. I also have some I took when he was climbing the tree and I stood underneath him and hit the tree with the stick and yelled. My best ones were once he got high in the tree, but once that happened I felt like that was a good time to go take a photo of a bird. Ha Ha

Photobucket

Merry Christmas to all. BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED
    50-200mm
    F2.8-3.5 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    90-250mm
    F2.8

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

most of your images are gone
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

OK, I see them now...
    That mule deer is amazing and quite a cool story too. watch out for deer during the rut, I have been chased a few times.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Buglin Billy

Armando if you are listening, please post the photo you redid as I would really like to learn how to post process photos. Thanks, BB

Here's another photo of that bear as he climb high enough I dared start taking photos again.

Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED
    50-200mm
    F2.8-3.5 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    90-250mm
    F2.8

Wow, amazing shots and stories! That is way too close for comfort as far as I'm concerned!

Great shot and Great story :thumbsup:
    I like a little story on a post with a picture
    NICE

Love the stories! You probably know this but statistically, the moose is the most dangerous large mammal or animal in North America (can't remember which). It's easy to take moose for granted here in northern Utah where they seem almost as common as deer in a lot of places. But they are way bigger and way more aggressive. They scare the hell out of me when I see them on the trail when I'm on my mountain bike.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Buglin Billy

Hi John, I live in northern Utah and that's where that incident happened.

On a side note, I was up in Yellowstone a few weeks ago and took this photo of a bull bison in the big meadow by Norris. Shortly after we got home from that trip and man was gored in that exact area and I don't doubt it wasn't in this exact meadow.

In Yellowstone far more people are killed or injured by bison than by bears by a larger percentage.

Have a good one. BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro

Zuiko Digital ED
    50-200mm
    F2.8-3.5 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    90-250mm
    F2.8

600 N Garden St Columbia, TN 38401 (931) 490-4355

I love the moose! hes tongue sticks out to you. Lol

Buglin Billy

Well here's a couple more photos of animals with their tongues sticking out.

Have a good one BB
    Olympus E-3

Olympus E-5

Zuiko Digital ED
    70-300mm
    F4.0-5.6

Zuiko Digital ED
    12-60mm
    F2.8-4.0 SWD

Zuiko Digital ED
    50mm
    F2.0 Macro