Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Lens questions

Lens questions

I realize this isn't an equipment forum but I hope you'll forgive me asking those who are doing what I like to do for answers rather than asking in a general area.

I like to shoot birds and animals in the wild. Specifically I've lately taken to going for long slow walks in the woods with my Pentax ist. I keep an old 80-200 Tokina lens on it while I walk and carry the stock 18-55 in my fanny pack for close ups of plants and insects etc. and for scenery shots. So of course I constantly find myself wishing for more reach with my zoom lens. Also wishing for an auto focus on it. And when I get home I find myself shaking my head at the lack of light the Tokina takes in.

Local shops tell me the strongest Pentax has available is a 50-200 zoom. They suggested the Sigma 28-200 was a better lens. All very nice but...I want more reach. So, my questions are...

What is too much for handheld shots? Would one of these 200 lenses work well with a 2x converter or would I lose too much light? I am sorely tempted as a newbie to save up and get some huge lens but...how practical are they? Basically, can you guys give me some opinions on what would be the best practical lens size for the type of shooting I do? Often this is in shaded bush areas shooting under foliage at birds and small animals.

Re: Lens questions

Quote Originally Posted by scott-devon
    I realize this isn't an equipment forum but I hope you'll forgive me asking those who are doing what I like to do for answers rather than asking in a general area.

I like to shoot birds and animals in the wild. Specifically I've lately taken to going for long slow walks in the woods with my Pentax ist. I keep an old 80-200 Tokina lens on it while I walk and carry the stock 18-55 in my fanny pack for close ups of plants and insects etc. and for scenery shots. So of course I constantly find myself wishing for more reach with my zoom lens. Also wishing for an auto focus on it. And when I get home I find myself shaking my head at the lack of light the Tokina takes in.

Local shops tell me the strongest Pentax has available is a 50-200 zoom. They suggested the Sigma 28-200 was a better lens. All very nice but...I want more reach. So, my questions are...

What is too much for handheld shots? Would one of these 200 lenses work well with a 2x converter or would I lose too much light? I am sorely tempted as a newbie to save up and get some huge lens but...how practical are they? Basically, can you guys give me some opinions on what would be the best practical lens size for the type of shooting I do? Often this is in shaded bush areas shooting under foliage at birds and small animals.
    I'd look for a used third party 400mm lens in a Pentax mount for anything more than 10 feet away. I'd look for a good used third party (Tokia, Tamron, Sigma) macro lens for the close-ups. You can shop and find one of each for $250 or so (each) and you'll be covered.

Scott,

I had the same questions 6 months or so ago. I did the usual research on line, visited the camera shops, talked to my photo friends and finally settled on the Tamron 28-300. I have a Canon and do not know if it comes with Pentax mount. It is light weight, easy to hanlde, has more than sufficient focal length to cover wildlife, auto focus, macro, produces a nice product. Maybe as my skills improve I will step up to a higher quality optics but for the weekend shooter, I am enjoying this lens.

Hope this helps.

CF
    Coastal Flyer

:yikes:

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Hi, S-D, and welcome to the N/W forum

You got two good advice so I won't repeat what's already been said. I just want to chime in on the 2x TC question as I am an advocate for these things and use them on virtually every outing.

You do lose a LOT of light and some image degradation (depending on the quality of the TC). One does need to know when and how to use these properly. Based on your statement, "often this is in shaded bush areas shooting under foliage at birds and small animals", I think these may not be for you. Even on my 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, the 2x makes this lens a 400mm f/5.6 at max. To coax the best image quality, I almost always shoot at f/8 to f/11 - not the best situation in the shade.

On the plus side, they do make you utilize your existing equipment and makes for lighter carrying weight. Nothing in photography is without compromise.

I too am a walk-about nature shooter. FWIW, I've been using only the 300mm prime with a 2x TC and extension tubes to do 95% of my N/W shooting.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information