Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Late afternoon, low light, reddish light, at the park

(I could swear I posted this earlier today, but I don't find it. I searched for posts by me, and looked in my profile for posting history, found nothing. If this is a double somehow, then oops. If not, I must have stupidly closed my browser after hitting Preview instead of Submit. Anyway, on with the show.)

I've been out to my local park a few times over the last couple of months to get sunsets. The sun is well out over the water in winter, as opposed to almost right at the shoreline in the summer. I usually get there with enough time to wander around as the planet rotates those last 10 or 15 degrees, and sometimes you get a wonderful color in the light late in the afternoon. Sometimes you just get a harsh low-angle light, and other times you find shaded areas that have always been in full sun on previous visits. As it happens, I've gotten other shots more often than I've gotten sunsets. Here's a few examples.

Great Cormorant stretching its wings to dry them. I've learned since starting to photograph birds that cormorants don't have the oils that ducks and other marine birds have so their feathers soak up water. This is what they have to do, like hanging laundry.

A Great Blue Heron passing by. This area was shaded by a pine forest between us and the low sun, but the colors from the sky show in some of the waves.

Still air letting the lake lay flat, with a couple of American Coots floating nearby, with some reddish-orange in the light.

This day did not give me the red hues, but left a very harsh bright light all the way to dusk. Here I found a Northern Parula facing directly into the low sun.

Re: Late afternoon, low light, reddish light, at the park

nice set I really like the second one
    Nikon D5100
    18-55
    55-300
    <<BLACKRAPID>>>>Sport2

Thread Information