Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Indigo-banded Kingfisher (Alcedo cyanopectus)

Indigo-banded Kingfisher (Alcedo cyanopectus) by alabang, on Flickr

The Indigo-banded Kingfisher (Alcedo cyanopectus) is a species of bird in the Alcedinidae family. It is endemic to the Philippines, where it is a generally uncommon but locally common resident of the northern and central islands. There are two subspecies, the nominate race, which occurs on Luzon, Polillo, Mindoro, Sibuyan and Ticao, and A. c. nigriostris, which is found in Panay, Negros and Cebu. It forms a superspecies with the Silvery Kingfisher of the southern Philippines.[1]

The Indigo-banded Kingfisher feeds on fish and aquatic insects. It perches on rocks and overhanging branches and foliage and dives steeply into the water to catch its prey. Once caught, it returns the prey to the perch where it is beaten and swallowed. Little is known about its breeding behaviour, although it is known to nest in tunnels dug into the banks of streams and rivers.[1]

Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry forests and subtropical or tropical mangrove forests.

Source: Indigo-banded Kingfisher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Settings: 1/125 ƒ/5.6 ISO 1250 800mm

Re: Indigo-banded Kingfisher (Alcedo cyanopectus)

Welcome to the site, dolina! I am loving your bird photos. This one is especially striking. I also like that you include background material, links and your camera settings. You're very thorough

I was actually going to make this a Featured Photo but you've disabled downloading on your Flickr account. If you'd like to have your photos selected as Featured Photos, please just upload them here.

Once again - welcome! It's good to see a new, enthusiastic photographer on our Nature & Wildlife forum
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Indigo-banded Kingfisher (Alcedo cyanopectus)

Hello John,

Thank you for corresponding your interesting in making my photo a featured photo of your forum. I am having difficulty looking for the section to upload this image.

If you can you may use this link http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3753/1...c1c9749a_o.jpg

Thread Information