Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: A Hawk Story

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

A Hawk Story

If you thought this was going to be another one of my long, drawn out stories.... you're right!

Bear with me, this isn't too long and should only be 2 posts:

So I'm out trying to sneak up on some butterflies when a shadow passes overhead. Now I always look up because I find shadows a great way to spot flying birds. But I didn't see anything, so I go on shooting butterflies. A few minutes later, I hear a sound I've only heard once before - a sound like a paper lawn bag filled about halfway and dropped from about 5'. I immediately see a red-tailed hawk that had landed about 50' away (IMAGE 1).

The way it was acting, I was certain it had caught its prey. Instead it flew away without anything and I thought that was that. But it flew only a short distance away into the far side of a large tree where I couldn't see it. After a few minutes, I stalked it and found it waiting to pounce on something (IMAGE 2). I get into position and wait, and wait, and wait. I see another hawk hovering in the distance nearly directly behind this one so I adjust the focus to watch that one when this one suddenly leaps - of course Adjusting the focus like mad, I caught (IMAGE 3) before it lands.

I couldn't see it among the weeds and grass - only where it went in. I'm watching through the viewfinder and waiting when it suddenly bursts out and I get (IMAGE 4) as it flies through the shadows of other nearby trees. I figure "that's it" but it only flies into another tree. This time, I don't wait and stalk it immediately to find it once again still in hunting mode (IMAGE 5).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-1.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-2.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-3.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-4.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-5.jpg  

Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: A Hawk Story

From the 2nd tree it leaps again but since it was very close to the ground, I couldn't get it in mid-air (rats!) only after it lands (IMAGE 6). Couldn't see if it caught anything.

Again, waiting for it to fly (with prey hopefully), it explodes away and I get (IMAGE 7 - wing clipped, crap!). I missed the focus on the next frame but regain it on the frame after that (IMAGE 8). This image is what I was going for (only with prey dangling). Now I figure "that's it for sure" but it flies into a third tree - what luck!

Now higher and in the sunlight and more agitated, I quickly setup and start shooting (IMAGE 9). It stays perched for only a short time and flies away for good this time. IMAGE 10 as it buzzed me across my bow - terrible shot I know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-6.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-7.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-8.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-9.jpg   A Hawk Story-08-31-07-hawk-story-10.jpg  

See my website HERE.

If you're still with me, thanks!

I was excited as it was only the 2nd time that I got to witness a hunt close-up (and this one encounter had 3 separate attempts). Looked to be a juvenille.

I was also excited because I haven't been able to get close to any raptor since spring. Once the trees greened up, they because extremely people-shy.

I did think about trying out the Auto Focus feature that I think my camera has. But I didn't want to experiment here and now. I did miss a few images that I wished I had nailed. But I'm happy with the experience.

It felt like the whole episode lasted 20 minutes or so. But checking my exif data, I found it lasted over 45 minutes. So either it was intense or I was abducted by aliens somewhere in between

Thanks again. (phew)

See my website HERE.

Great photo essay. I found it very entertaining. You have a few very nice shots, mixed in with a couple crappy ones, of course. Of course, most people would never share any photos that aren't their best. However, even your sub par ones are part of the story and I'm glad you shared them along with the good ones. Sounds like an enjoyable experience.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Quite the experience you had there Loupey.You have a couple of beautiful captures here. Love the narration
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Thanks for looking, Mike and Knight.

Some day I will get a close shot of one with prey dangling in mid-flight

So I suppose these are just practice shots

See my website HERE.

Nice narrative and some lovely shots - Glad I'm not the only one getting rotten shots of these raptors, trouble is I don't get the good ones - rats

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

very cool ! Too bad about the lack of prey!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks, Roger & Paul!

I went back a day or two later and found the same (I'm pretty sure) hawk in about the same place. This one is definitely aclimated to people. This time, I saw it fly into the trees with prey and as I was getting into position, it flew right at me and passed no more than 10' directly over my head - too cool!

It landed on top of a bird observation deck behind me. I inched a little closer and we had a stare down - I wondered if there had ever been a reported attack on a person by a hawk. Closest I've even been or imagined I could get to a wild hawk.

Anyway, I got to witness another attempted hunt. Moments after the last shot here, I did flip the switch to AF to see what it could do. Never again! The hawk flew towards me before veering off and I missed some great head-on opportunities. The AF wasn't even close :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

I think if I keep following this guy, it'll be my best chance of getting a shot of a hawk + prey.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Hawk Story-hawk-story-revisited-1.jpg   A Hawk Story-hawk-story-revisited-2.jpg   A Hawk Story-hawk-story-revisited-3.jpg   A Hawk Story-hawk-story-revisited-4.jpg  

See my website HERE.

What gear are you using that the AF doesn't track fast enough?
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Loupey,

I assume the Camera was in AI Servo mode not one shot which is the only reason I can think of that the Canon wouldn't track.

Did this once - painful.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

Also a TC slows the tracking ALOT too .
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Paul - the 300mm alone on the 30D

Roger - AI servo, yes (that's the middle one right? Not full servo and not one-shot). Figured I couldn't keep the hawk in the center sensor so I didn't use the full servo.

Here's a 5 shot sequence (there were 6 total) of the AF attempt. You can see how the focus in the background is shifting progressively forward in each subsequent shot. It finally catches up in #5. These are all full frame.

It didn't help the AF that when I shoot, it's a violent affair. Manual mode allows me to start focusing while I'm bringing the camera up into position. I've developed enough muscle memory that I can get the focus pretty close by feel alone (how much counter-clockwise from infinity or how much clockwise from minimum focus depending on the subject distance). That way, as soon as I see it in the viewfinder I can fine tune the focus and release. So if I gave the AF enough time to lock in on #1, it probably would have tracked through.

But the first shot is often the best opportunity to get a really explosive image so AF wouldn't work for my type of shooting.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

See my website HERE.

Here's another blooper (man how did you manage to get me to post so many trash images on this site ).

This image is also full frame but shot earlier and in full manual.

I think this illustrates my style. Bam, point, shoot! Real fast, real violent. You can see I hit the focus - even if I barely got it in the frame

At least I can blame that blooper squarely on me. I don't ever want to be caught blaming why I didn't get the shot on my equipment. So Manual Focus it stays.

At least I can say that I tried AF (once).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A Hawk Story-hawk-reject-6.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Paul - the 300mm alone on the 30D

Roger - AI servo, yes (that's the middle one right? Not full servo and not one-shot). Figured I couldn't keep the hawk in the center sensor so I didn't use the full servo.
    No its the bottom one on mine

I have One Shot (Top), AI Focus (Middle), AI Servo (Bottom) on the 5D.

The middle one is one shot unless the camera thinks it moved.

I select the centre focus only and then on Full (AI) Servo so the camera is always hunting for the focus and I keep that centre AF on the eye of the bird. Seems to work on the 5D the majority of the time. It even keeps focus as I zoom.

It looks like you had all of the focus points chosen which is why the camera picked the background.

Hope that helps.

Roger
    Last edited by readingr; 09-05-2007 at 01:30 AM.

DSLR
    Digital

Manual focus works better on moving subjects(if your good) until you get into the lightning fast 500F4IS and 600F4 IS primes I have shot every camera know to man with nearly every long lens and assure you I am correct.

Add the 400F2.8IS too... 300 is too short for my style, but the 300F2.8AFS was a smoker at following sports on film !
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thread Information