Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Greenbottle fly feeding on salmon carcass (pic)

Every Friday I post photos of a different species of fly on my blog (I title them “Flydays”; corny, I know). This past week’s post was about Lucilia sericata, the common greenbottle (Flyday July 19, 2013: the greenbottle, now that?s a fly! | macrocritters); which is easily my favourite fly. Greenbottles are blow flies—feeding and laying their eggs on dung and carrion. So I attracted this specimen (and a number of other species) by putting the remains of a sockeye salmon out on my deck. I’d filleted the fish for dinner and kept the skeleton specifically to attract some flies.

Is it weird that I have a favourite fly?

Cheers,
    EC

Olympus OM-D E-M5, Zuiko 35mm macro, manual exposure (F11 @ 1/200 sec), Olympus RF-11 ring flash(1/2 power) (on TTL), ISO: 200>>

>>
    P8120179 Lucilia copyright ernie cooper 2013 by ernie.cooper, on Flickr>>

Re: Greenbottle fly feeding on salmon carcass (pic)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecooper View Post
    Is it weird that I have a favourite fly?[/FONT]
    For you, Ernie? No

You've had too many Featured Photos lately so I can't choose this one. However, I think this is a beauty. I love the green of the fly's body against the orange salmon flesh. Did you think of that in advance or is that just a lucky bonus? Regardless, the color in this really makes the photo for me. Technically, it's excellent, of course. Your photos always are
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Greenbottle fly feeding on salmon carcass (pic)

LOL! I suppose that's true...nobody that knows me would be surprised that I had a favorite fly! Notice that I don't post many pictures of honebees and butterflies on flowers? Or puppies, rainbows...

Anyhow, yes I totally planned the colours. I chose sockeye salmon because it has the brightest red flesh--much more colourful than pink, coho or chiook salmon. It also tastes the best, which was a nice little bonus!

Thanks again for the kind words.

Cheers,
    EC

Thread Information