Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure

Hi, folks, I thought I might mention something I hadn't even thought of before:

In playing with some equipment that I just bought my son, I found out that my tubes won't mount on his 18-55mm EF-S lens. My tubes (I think they are made by Kenko) have a baffle which hits the longer rear mount of the EF-S. I've mounted my tubes on every EF lens I've owned and never had an issue.

Something to think about. Make sure you get the proper tubes to match the format you use.

(EF lens on the left, EF-S lens on the right)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-ef-vs-ef-s-mounts.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Hey, poker, yeah the close subject-to-lens distance can be a bit challenging to light....
    I have a light tent cube in the mail from an Ebay purchase. I hope to get it tomorrow so I can play with it this weekend. I can't wait for my first satisfying macro shot. I would due it in the day time but I've been so busy.

Regarding EF-S and the Kenko tubes, I did see some fine print regarding it's incompatibility with EF-S lenses. I forgot which vendor states it.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Great comparison shots Loupey - good info., thanks for sharing !
    According to reviews on B&H's web site, the newer style Kenko EOS set will work without problems on EF-S lens, while the Canon EF12 II, and EF25 II are EF-S specific, if you can afford them. :thumbsup:
    Last edited by Rivman; 02-15-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, with a T2i and some lenses !

banished

Just ordered a set of Kenko tubes from Adorama's used department for 79 bucks w/shipping.never used them but heard lots about them,these tips will help..Thanks

Since I originally posted this thread (almost 4 years ago now!!!) I haven't included any real-world examples in it. I keep posting examples in other threads but I'm sorry to have not kept this thread updated.

So the following few posts will include some samples.

So that you can gauge the usefulness of the combos, I will post images UNCROPPED and state which camera was used and the amount of extension (if noted).

Besides, it's almost spring and thoughts of photographers' turn to... macros

See my website HERE.

Short Standard - 50mm

For any given amount of extension, the shorter the lens, the high the magnification will be.

A 50mm lens can be useful if the camera-to-subject distance can be short (or preferrably short) while maintaining a high magnification. Using multiple tubes will result in extremely short distances (2~3 inches in front of the lens).

Here I used a cheap Canon EF50mm f/1.8 that I paid $80 new several years back. I was doing work for a high-end aquarium store and I wanted to be as close as possible to the glass to reduce my reflection and also to minimize the effect of the glass itself.

Shot with a Canon 30D and 12mm tube.
    Uncropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-ext-tube-sample-50mm.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Short Tele - 85mm

Perhaps more flexible is a short telephoto like an 85mm or 100mm as they provide a good compromise of subject distance and magnification.

A good choice for still life and studio work (product work).

This image was taken outside with existing lighting. Canon 50D with EF85mm f/1.8 with 20mm of extension.

Uncropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-85mm-20mm.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Since I originally posted this thread (almost 4 years ago now!!!) I haven't included any real-world examples in it. I keep posting examples in other threads but I'm sorry to have not kept this thread updated.

So the following few posts will include some samples.

So that you can gauge the usefulness of the combos, I will post images UNCROPPED and state which camera was used and the amount of extension (if noted).

Besides, it's almost spring and thoughts of photographers' turn to... macros
    Hi Loupey,
    This is the exact kinda macro info I am looking for.
    Thank you for expanding on the subject and sharing your knowledge.
    My extension tubes are in the mail so I am trying to learn as much as I can before I start using them.
    Bob in Denver
    ==========
    Larger photos always available in my user gallery
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...&ppuser=278310

No sweat.

More examples to come later. I've got to run to make a shoot.

See my website HERE.

Another 85mm Shot

Another with the "portrait" EF 85mm f/1.8 with tubes.

Shot with Canon 30D, existing light, uncropped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-85mm-b.jpg  

See my website HERE.

My Favorite Combo - 300mm with Tubes

My 300mm f/4 is my favorite lens to use with tubes. The camera-to-subject distance is absolutely fantastic for timid subjects and the narrow angle of view is terrific for minimizing distracting backgrounds.

If I know I'm going out to shoot close-ups, I usually start right away with a 36mm tube on the 300mm and keep the other tubes in my pocket. I then add additional tubes as needed. With various tube combinations, I can shoot subjects from 3' to 8' away.

These five all uncropped with various combinations of tubes (sorry but I change out tubes so fast there is no way I can keep track of exactly which tube was used). Image 1 with the Canon 10D. Images 2, 3, and 4 with the Canon 30D. Image 5 with the Canon 40D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-300mm-.jpg   Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-300mm-b.jpg   Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-300mm-c.jpg   Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-300mm-d.jpg   Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-300mm-e.jpg  

See my website HERE.

One more with the 300mm

In this example, I do specifically remember using all three tubes (68mm total) so that I could get a frame-filling shot.

This is a good example of the narrow angle of view possible with a long telephoto. I wanted to use this feature to create a seamless green background of color.

Uncropped shot with the Canon 30D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-300mm-68mm.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Even with Super Telephotos

Even when I'm out birding with just my 500mm lens, you will always find that I have a set of tubes (and a 2x converter) somewhere on me.

When I come across a scene like this, the 500mm can be used to get low perspective angle shots at distances around 10 to 12 feet which is well inside the specified close focus distance of the lens itself. So having a set of tubes can allow you to nearly disregard the close focus specifications of supertelephotos when choosing a model to purchase.

Uncropped from the Canon 50D. The lens hood is nearly touching the surface of the water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-500mm-.jpg  

See my website HERE.

With a 70-200mm Zoom

I started this thread by demonstrating how tubes work using the 70-200mm zoom. But I seldom use zooms with tubes for several reasons:

1) there are too many factors that affect magnification and subject distance (focus, focal length, and amount of extension all have a profound effect on each other) that it is difficult to master and recreate

2) zooms do not generally have the resolving capabilities that primes do, especially when pushed by tubes

3) primes are lighter and therefore easier to tripod mount

4) primes are faster and brighter so focusing (and manual focus is always recommended) is easier to see

Still, some zooms have internal stabilization which can overcome some of these shortcomings.

Here is an uncropped shot using the Canon 10D and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-70-200.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Final Word

The moral of this long story is 1) don't let anyone try to convince you that only "macro" lenses are the "proper" choices for quality close-up / macro images, and 2) don't get trapped into seeing the world in only macro focal lengths (50mm/60mm, 90mm/100mm/105mm, and 180mm/200mm).

Difficult situations call for different tools and some creative problem solving techniques. Besides, we don't all want to take pictures like how everyone else takes pictures do we?

These final two images are slight crops from those taken with the Canon 40D and 50D, respectively, with the 500mm and a 36mm tube.

Thanks for reading. Now go out and shoot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-500mm-b.jpg   Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-extsample-500mm-c.jpg  

See my website HERE.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I see I'm going to have to get used to using my tubes more.
    Thanks for showing all the fine work, Loupey.

I wonder if this could be placed elsewhere along with the n/w forums for it is useful info for other than n/w work also. Don't know where it would go though.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

My God...Im inspired to get some of these tubes myself. I ordered the cheap ones to see if I get the hang of it to later move over to the Kenkos. These pics are sublime, I can only hope to get a quarter (not even a half) of the quality you show here. Do you make some post processing work in these like saturation, contrast or curves??? They are just amazing.

Thanks for commenting.

Frog - I think there is a link to this thread in the welcome thread within the Viewfinder Forum.

chaman - thank you very much for the kind words. Yes, every single image I take has to be massaged out with post processing. Camera RAW (without any camera processing) is an ugly thing to behold but contains the most amount of data because it hasn't been processed. Like peeling away the layers of an onion, one has to process the data until just the right amount of onion is visible.

See my website HERE.

These are inspiring. I was just fooling around with my 90mm macro and a 25mm extension tube, but never thought of putting it on a telephoto. The difference it makes with my 180mm f2.8 is amazing and will certainly help in the field.

Was out birding with my 500mm the other day when I came across this little spider (no bigger than a dime with its legs outstretched) in a small shaft of sunlight. Had to use all three tubes to get to about 10'. A good thing since If I had approached any closer, I would have disturbed all the "jungle clutter" which would have disturbed the web.

Image is uncropped from the 50D.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure-500mm-tubes.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Wish I had read this thread before. Already got some tubes now, though.

Hope this stays sticky for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by mdvaden
    Wish I had read this thread before. Already got some tubes now, though.

Hope this stays sticky for a long time.
    Thank you for your feedback! I have to admit I haven't looked at it myself in quite a while. Will have to update it soon.

See my website HERE.

Loupey,

After reading this thread about....5....6.....maybe even 7 times, I finally broke down and got some. You are right, they are a blast to play with, and I can't stop messing with them

Thanks again for a great thread,
    Eric

Feel free to edit any photos I've posted

Thanks for commenting, Eric!

These tubes sure can give new life to lenses while opening up new ways to look at things.

See my website HERE.

Buglin Billy

Loupey, thanks for taking the time to enlighen people like me. I had know Idea what an extension tube was.

I suppose this is for only marco shooting and can not be used on regular telephoto shots????

Can any tube be used with any lens, or are specific tubes made for or limited to specific lenses. For example can I use the same tube on my 70-300 lens and on my Marco 50mm lens?

Thanks again for the great post. BB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information