Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure

your first image is slightly out of focus and both suffer from being degraded by a 2x TC. The 100-400 can be used nicely with a 2X tc, but I find the farther the camera to subject diatance the more degradation you get.

Get a STURDY TRIPOD and open up the lens one stop atleast. to shoot that etup ona monopod I would suggest 1/1000th and a sturdy tripod can get that image at even 1/60th if the GBH isn't moving.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Just ordered a set of Kenko tubes from Adorama's used department for 79 bucks w/shipping.never used them but heard lots about them,these tips will help..Thanks

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironworker02
    Just ordered a set of Kenko tubes from Adorama's used department for 79 bucks w/shipping.never used them but heard lots about them,these tips will help..Thanks
    Sounds like a great deal, Ironworker!

Glad you found this thread useful. Hope you'll post some results soon.

Welcome to PR by the way!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Need help with Kenko Extension tubes

Well - there is a link to my first try with my Kenko's! Thanks Loupey for this great info...
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

Make yourself a dang quesadilla! OBie's Avatar

Hi all,

I'm procrastinating working on taxes and ended up here. Whoda thunk?

I read this thread way back when Loupey first started it. I had just started hanging out in the forums and learning my way around digital photography, so didn't really 'digest' the info here.

Today (because getting tax info ready just "isn't that important right now"), I re-read the thread and have a few questions.

My current setup is a D50, with 18-55 Nikkor (kit), 70-300 Quantaray w/macro 3.5-5.6, and my newest, the Sigma 70-200 2.8.

To say the least, I've been very disappointed with the Sigma while trying to shoot birds at the feeder (for starters). Images are not clear at all. I've used a tripod, monopod, and hand-held. Manual focus, AF, glasses (mine) on, glasses off, UV filter on , UV filter off.

What does this have to do with tubes, you say? I've been taking the photos from inside the house, through an open window. Feeder is about 50-60' away. Birds are tiny at that distance with the 200mm. I thought tubes might help. However I'm wondering if it's me (very likely), or the lens, or camera setup that's the problem. I would think that I should be able to enlarge the photo at least a little bit and still have a sharp bird. No? It's almost impossible to use the Quantaray lens unless the sun is shining directly on the subject and between the hours of 12 and 1pm due to the horrible aperture when zoomed in. So I was excited to get the Sigma for Christmas, but not so much anymore.

Any thoughts or ideas? I liken the tubes as a way of getting closer without getting closer - is that right? Good for a zoom? Turn in the Sigma 2.8 and get a long prime 2.8? Spend another thousand and get the Nikon w/VR (hope not!)

Sorry this is so haphazard - hope someone sticks it out to the end. Apparently lousy focusing is just the beginning of my problems . . .
    OBie. Not Obi-Wan, just OBie.

You are speaking of a telecoverter An extention tube allows you to focus at a shorter distance, while a TC magnifies your focal length(making the subject larger in your frame)

For birds at that distance a 500mm would be a start. Why not put a feeder 10 feet from the window instead
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    You are speaking of a telecoverter An extention tube allows you to focus at a shorter distance, while a TC magnifies your focal length(making the subject larger in your frame)
    Oh man - I can't believe after reading this entire thread that I got that wrong! Comprehension is not my strong suit. Good thing school is waaaay behind me.

So I need to look into a TC for the Sigma (assuming I keep it!)?

Why not put a feeder 10 feet from the window instead
    :mad2: LOL! I thought of that just after posting.. DUH! That I can do.

OBie, perhaps it will help to differentiate these this way:

1) If you're too close and your lens won't focus any closer, then think "extension tubes"

and
    2) If you're wishing that the image in your viewfinder was closer/more magnified, then think "teleconverters". These are also called multipliers.

As for your Sigma, I'm kinda worried about that. If it isn't taking clear pictures already, adding any accessory will make the problem worse.

See my website HERE.

Thanks Loupey. Appreciate the explanation - and I didn't know that teleconverters (TCs?) were also known as "multipliers".

I'm going to take the Sigma into Wolf (Ritz) for a look-see. It did OK at the zoo, but other than that one day, I've not seen anything great.

Beautiful picture.

Hi, Pharman9, and welcome to PR!

And to everyone else, I promise to post new examples with different primes soon. Just hadn't gotten around to it. I'll keep you posted

See my website HERE.

Can you leave the extensions tubes on for a non macro photo? Like say a picture of a landscape?

You can, but you will loose infinity and have a shallower DOF than typical landscape images.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Quote Originally Posted by slayer7124
    Can you leave the extensions tubes on for a non macro photo? Like say a picture of a landscape?
    Only if you take pictures of miniatures.

As soon as you space out any lens, the focus range immediately shifts towards the close end.

Example 1: 20mm extension tube + 50mm lens: infinity = 5.2" out in front of the lens
    Example 2: 20mm extension tube + 85mm lens: infinity = 15" out in front of the lens

If you notice this trend, the distance increases as the focal length of the main lens increases or if the amount of extension decreases.

And that is the only difference between using tubes and a true macro lens which can focus out to true infinity. When using tubes, you have to consider what distance range you want to be shooting your subject. Admittedly this can be a little tough if you have a highly animated subject (like a butterfly) that keeps crossing the focus range. But it just takes practice.

See my website HERE.

I have only used tubes on 400mm + ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Thank you guys. I do not have any tubes yet but I'm considering it. Cheapest way to add something more to my camera instead if buying a new lens.

yay, got my extension tubes today!
    Canon Rebel 400D

Stock 18-55mm
    Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di II Macro Lens
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Canon 50mm f/1.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/victorhuang20/

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorhuang20
    yay, got my extension tubes today!
    Don't forget to send Loupey his commission! You will love them. They are a lot of fun to play with.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Software Mob

Nice demo...and good take.
    Saving the world, one software at a time through Legacy Modernization | ResQSoft.com

Kentucky Wildlife

Wow. Great effort and display. Thanks very much. I experiemented with extension tubes many years ago and decided they didn't give acceptable quality, but you've convinced me.
    Man--now I have another thing on my want list.
    This is a great forum, I've only been here a couple of days, but I've already learned a great deal.

Hi, Ron. Please do get a set of tubes and try them out.

They work with all lenses but I try not to use them with zooms (causes softness around the edges of the frame). They work really well with primes - especially those with built-in image stabilization.

I use them on my 500mm as well.

See my website HERE.

Kentucky Wildlife

Dear Loupey,
    Thanks, but I have a question:
    I do all my wildlife photography with a 200mm F2.8, because I can hand-hold it and I know how to get close. I shoot a Pentax K20D. The lens is not IS, but the one in the camera works suprisingly well. I've been able to get sharp shots with my 200 at 1/60 sec. handheld. What brand of extensions would you recommend?
    Also, back when I was playing with them, they came in 2X, 3X etc., so it was simple. Now I see they come in mms. How does this translate?

Ron,
    I think you are confusing extension tubes with teleconverters...But, there is a Vivitar (others made them as well) 2x Macro converter that when used with a 50mm lens, allowerd you to focus to life sized images...It is a quality 7 element converter that offered variable ratios without having to change out tubes

After reading this thread for months, I finally bought a set of Kenko tubes. I really enjoy what I see at such a close distance but I haven't been able to take a photo I'd like to share.

I only have time to play around at night and I end up using artificial light. I find lighting up something for macro work challenging. No wonder they've created macro ring flashes.

I might get a macro rail from Ebay for $35 unless I figure out a DIY method. I'll keep experimenting with lighting my subjects.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Hey, poker, yeah the close subject-to-lens distance can be a bit challenging to light. You probably already know this, but a single on-camera strobe can do beautiful work if bounced properly. Most of my "example" images I post here on PR are just quick, single strobe shots with the flashed typically pointing back and up over my head.

See my website HERE.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information