Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

Re: Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Loupey-
    This is an excellent, excellent post! And it reminds me that we need a place for this kind of thing so that it can be easily found. I'm not sure how to go about doing that yet,
    John, you and I are thinking along the same lines. I made a link to this in the Viewfinder Welcome thread!
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Excellent!

This thread belongs stuck here and I will not unstick it until it has gone dead for many weeks.

Tell ya what...

When the original Bird ID thread gets fixed and moved here, I will let you steal this thread
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

It's hurricane season... again...

Re: Extension Tubes - Full Disclosure

I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but I need to know... are tubes useful for all situations, or are they primarily for macro? Also, does the extension tube work with a macro lens? Thanks for any help!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

Kristen,

Most people here use them to get closer to macro(1:1) or beyond macro when used on a true macro lens. Wildlife shooters with HUGE PRIMES(600F4) use them to reduce the minimum focus distance for smaller subjects . All they are is a spacer between the body and lens that gives you you closer focus distances while robbing you of your infinity focus. The more extention you use, the narrower the gap between close and far focus distances.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Great thread Loupey. You inspired me to buy the tubes since the first day I saw your work with them. I will be looking for a deal locally for the Kenkos but if not, I will surely order them by next week online.

Thanks for the thorough demo.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I am honored and, frankly, flabbergasted with the attention and kind words to my simple examples. I am tickled that you have found the information useful (and hopefully a budget-saver).

I think there is a big misconception by many people who believe that only a true macro will provide worthy results. I know macro lens are pricey and can be a significant roadblock for those wanting get into macro/closeup photography.

In the past, I always felt bad leaving my high quality "portrait" and "telephotos" at home while using a dedicated macro in the field. Tubes allowed my other lenses to become instantly more useful. And, subsequently, allowed my overall expense and gadget bag weight to become significantly smaller everytime I changed formats or brands.

Thanks again for allowing me to share!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Kristen,

Most people here use them to get closer to macro(1:1) or beyond macro when used on a true macro lens. Wildlife shooters with HUGE PRIMES(600F4) use them to reduce the minimum focus distance for smaller subjects . All they are is a spacer between the body and lens that gives you you closer focus distances while robbing you of your infinity focus. The more extention you use, the narrower the gap between close and far focus distances.
    Very good explanation Paul. Tubes are very useful, but won't be for everyone. Everyone has a different shooting style and technique. Some will find them useful others not.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Viewfinder and Off-Topic Co-Mod walterick's Avatar

I bought a set of manual focus tubes a few years ago new on Ebay for like $30. One of the better investments I've made, and clocked in well below the price of a macro lens! They let me use any of my lenses for close up work, and since I manually focus anyway, it's not a problem.
    Walter Rick Long
    Nikon Samurai, Mamiya Master, Velvia Bandit

Check out the Welcome Thread

My photography on Myspace

Well that explained it all. Need to save up for some TUBEESSSSSS.

Are these the correct tubes for Canon EOS, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kenko-Automat...QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry Pete..... I read the reply via Email notice and must have forgotten to reply..

Yes those are the ones
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

No problem old friend.

okay experts;

kenko has

mc4
    mc7
    pro300 dg

my cameras are both 20d

1 has a 75-300IS and the other a 100-400IS

next lens after the extenders is a 70-200 2.8

i shoot wildlife predominantly

pros and cons and which do ineed? thanx gang!

First off, you are talking teleconverters I do believe in a extention tube thread.... but that's no big deal

Based on my belief that you want a TC , not tubes......
    What you need is to sell the 75-300 and buy a CANON 1.4TCII then buy the canon 70-200F2.8L . That would leave you with a 100-400/ 140-520F8(MF) and a 70-200/98-280F4....no need to have a 75-300 with a 70-200/100-400 and a 1.4 TC
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

see, i just keep learning.

thanx paul!

Yeah, I agree - since you already have the 100-400mm, the 1.4x would be the most that you should add (mostly because your max aperture will already be pretty slow at F8).

If you want a fast lens to compliment your existing line up, what about the 200mm f/2.8 prime? It's lighter, cheaper, and sharper than the zoom version. You could even put a 2xII TC on that one and I'd bet the image quality would be pretty close to what you're getting with the 100-400. Then sell both your zooms and buy a 100mm f/2.8 macro USM (with some change to boot!). Those two lenses and a 2xII TC would give you an awesome combo that is light and fairly inexpensive.

Something to think about?

See my website HERE.

i was thinking about adding the 100mm at a later date anyway. the thing is most of our work now and in the future will be long range.
    i would need at least 2 long range for both cameras to be working at the same time.

i tend to be obsesive compulsive on many things and i believe that digital photography has an awesome future and that i am getting in on the bottom floor.i have been extremely successful in other ventures and don't see any difference here.

unlike many of you i am not a "photographer" and don't really care to be. jsut a good "picture taker" .

i was thinking of selling the 75-300 and getting the 2.8 zoom but you and another friend have both mentioned the prime along with a 1.4 and 2 x.

i like the versatility of the zoom as with wildlife there is a lot of quick snap stuff and no time to fool with a lens so i believe i will keep the 100-400 anyway

i am at a stage in my life where i have the time and the resources. i am still very frugal but if i see something that benefits me i often get it worked out.

this is just a lot of spare change to turn around and resell everything at a later date to upgrade. seems maybe i should just get it to begin with, eh?

so it turns out i need some tubes for the close stuff and at least 1 or maybe 2 converters for the longer stuff.

your opinion along with paul and the other "knowledgable folks" here is of great interest to me. i know my style is radical but trustme, it has its benefits in life

Keep the questions coming!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

Just joined the Forum a while back and have been looking at some of the recent posts. Loupey, this one is great. I just bought a set of the Kenko tubes. It is nice to see what you can get with them. Thanks for your work with this.

WesternGuy

WesternGuy - thanks a lot for the kind feedback! I'm glad this info was helpful to you and I look forward to seeing some results with it

Gotta love tubes!!!

See my website HERE.

My tubes are on order should get them by Friday
    Nikon Samurai # 24

( The hiker's creed. )

Take only pictures, Leave only footprints, Kill only time.

Hey, Knight - I'm excited for you. In fact I may be more excited than you

I expect to see some images posted by Friday afternoon

See my website HERE.

Hi all!

I hope another question about extenders will be accepted!

I am a wildlife artist who uses a Canon Digital Rebel with a EF IS 100-400mm lens. I recently purchased an EF 2x II extender, and all the pictures I have taken with it so far have turned out blurry.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your help,
    Heidi

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Hi Heidi,

Great to see another Wisconsin member joining the forum! A 2x externder on that lens, with that camera is going to give you a field of view equivelent to a 1280mm lens. For that type of reach, you're going to need a sturdy tripod, and cable release. Most likely you're also going to have to focus manually since you are loosing 2 stops of light with the 2x extender. The IS should help, but for a focal length like that, a tripod is a must. Are you using a tripod already? If so, could you post an image or two so we can see the blur in your photos? It could help us to determine if it's being caused by camera shake, or perhaps they are just out of focus.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Yes, I am using a monopod. And I have been focusing manually, autofocus does not work on this lens with a extender attached.

The instruction manual recommends that the IS be turned off when using a mono or tripod. ( I have already noticed that images will actually be blurry when using the IS under completely still conditions)

I am including two images, both using a monopod, one 400 ISO, the other 200 ISO.

Maybe I am not being steady enough, I haven't tried the cable release yet. I will try that next.

Thank you,
    Heidi
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

These images don't look too bad. They are noticebly soft tho. What settings are you using? The images you posted look about like mine do when I shoot wide open with a 2xTC. Are you shooting wide open? If so, stop the lens down a couple stops down to find the sweet spot of your lens and see if your images improve. Of course this is going to give you slower shutter speeds which is where the tripod and cable release will help you out alot.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information