Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Can't Help It! More RT Hawks!

When they are around, I just can't stop following them

These are from yesterday of 3 different RT's. The last one is cropped significantly of an ISO 800 image near sunset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can't Help It!  More RT Hawks!-03-20-07-hawk-1.jpg   Can't Help It!  More RT Hawks!-03-20-07-hawk-2.jpg   Can't Help It!  More RT Hawks!-03-20-07-hawk-3.jpg   Can't Help It!  More RT Hawks!-03-20-07-hawk-4.jpg   Can't Help It!  More RT Hawks!-03-20-07-hawk-5.jpg  

Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: Can't Help It! More RT Hawks!

Well, soon the little creepies will be out and you'll be back to macro. Are you releaing mice in the fields again?

Hey Loupey, did you get a look at the back side of the first hawk? It looks like it might be a light morph... I would love to get a shot of a hawk in either a dark or light morph!

I like all of these, especially the wing position of number four.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

LOL, Payn - it looked more like a guinea pig that he caught! I figure I'll give the birds my attention through the breeding season; then I'll switch gears. Then again, I usually just go out with no particular subject in mind

Morph? Copy, your bird knowledge is better than mine. The part of the field where I got the first image is smaller and the hawks never came down (too many other people). So I didn't get a better look at the specific #1 bird.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Loupey, hawks have typical color patterns for each species, but some have variations in color called a morph. A rough-legged hawk is usually a light colored bird, but sometimes they are very dark in color... a dark morph. Red-tails can go either way and be either a dark, or light morph. My Sibley guide say they can even be albino.

I saw a red-tail in NJ once that was almost completely white, it had red-tail feathers and a few regular colored head feathers but that was it... coolest looking bird I've ever seen.

Thread Information