Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Burrowing Owl Chicks

Spent the last 2 days photographing Burrowing Owls in south Florida. I was in an area that had 6 underground nest.
    This nest had six chicks in it.....hard to imagine how they all live together in that hole!!

Almost impossible to get all 6 to face the camera at the same time. The 6th one is behind the front left chick, you can just see the top of the head.

Here 3 of them are watching a passing plane in the sky

Adult female keeping an eye on the group......

Re: Burrowing Owl Chicks

Fantastic! Especially the last one. I'm hoping to shoot a Burrowing Owl series in the next few weeks.

Eric, Great Photos with great lighting.

Just a few comments to clarify some of your statements. First off, the Florida species of the Burrowing Owl digs its own burrow unlike the western species that uses abandoned Prairie Dog burrows. (or other animals). The burrows here in Florida can be up to 10 feet long, and from several inches to several feet deep, so they have plenty of room.
    Your comment about the owls looking up at airplanes was meant to be funny I suppose. Coopers Hawks are the Burrowing Owls biggest nemesis. From the first day the chicks leave the burrow they instinctively look up to watch for predators. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwlLady View Post
    Eric, Great Photos with great lighting.

Just a few comments to clarify some of your statements. First off, the Florida species of the Burrowing Owl digs its own burrow unlike the western species that uses abandoned Prairie Dog burrows. (or other animals). The burrows here in Florida can be up to 10 feet long, and from several inches to several feet deep, so they have plenty of room.
    Your comment about the owls looking up at airplanes was meant to be funny I suppose. Coopers Hawks are the Burrowing Owls biggest nemesis. From the first day the chicks leave the burrow they instinctively look up to watch for predators. :thumbsup:
    Yes they were actually watching the jets fly over. My friend took some video. The chicks are very curious about everything flying by!! Thanks for the info,

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

I spent a week on Cape Coral watch and photographing them about 10 years ago. one of my favorite owls and I was sad to return and find so many not there anymore.

Great images Eric!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Amazing shots as always.

Very Nice Pictures Eric
    Thanks for sharing.
    They look VERY close to the Rare Alberta Burrowing Owl
    I an not trying to hijack you thread a just a picture of a Western Canada One.
    From Birds of Prey . An Injured bird rehab facility
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burrowing Owl Chicks-burrowowl.jpg  

They look the same. Thanks for sharing

Thread Information