Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Blue Sky Day

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Blue Sky Day

We had a brilliant blue sky this morning. Of course I had to check out the fields to see if there was any action.

Red-Tailed Hawk: Trying to get away from shots of just hawk+sky. Tough to do with these high flying types

Sorry if I'm boring you with the same subjects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Sky Day-02-23-07-rt-hawk-1.jpg   Blue Sky Day-02-23-07-rt-hawk-2.jpg   Blue Sky Day-02-23-07-rt-hawk-3.jpg  
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Re: Blue Sky Day

Just before leaving, I noticed that a male and female kestrel had entered the area. I keep forgetting how extremely small these birds are. I almost passed them up thinking they were doves.

First and last images are quite heavy crops.

I've been given a hot tip from the park ranger about an owl in the general vicinity. I will focus my efforts on that during the next few days

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Sky Day-02-23-07-kestrels-1.jpg   Blue Sky Day-02-23-07-kestrels-2.jpg   Blue Sky Day-02-23-07-kestrels-3.jpg   Blue Sky Day-02-23-07-kestrels-4.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Very nice Loupey. I love that you have some tree branches in the hawk flight shots. I'm still waiting to find a damn kestral sitting in a tree. I was hoping to get out this weekend, but it sounds like a nasty winter storm is coming our way tonight.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey
    Sorry if I'm boring you with the same subjects.
    NEVER! I love the kestrals, I wish I could find one around here.

I have to agree with mjs1973. It's great that you have some tree branches in your hawk flight shots, it adds more interest. I love number two where it's landing on the branch.

I really like the second one too. Thats awesome Now go answer my day job post lol I am jealous of you guys.
    Amber
    cam: Sony a100 DSLR
    Please do not edit my images.. thanks

how could one ever get bored of birds of prey? Especially when they are so expertly shot. There's the blue sky you were wishing for Loupey. I wish I could get that close to the birds I want to shoot most of the time. The kestrels are beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen one in the wild yet.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Thank you very much for looking and commenting. Sometimes I wonder if I'm posting too much and no longer helpful. Hearing someone lecture too long can be deafening - at least that's what my wife tells me .

I purposefully tried to include the branches to give it some balance. The harriers are the only ones which I've observed that I have a good chance at some low angle fly-bys. Unfortunately, I'm still getting ground junk (houses in the background, cars - yes there's an interstate on the other side of the field, and high voltage transmission lines/towers). The elements will all align if I'm persistent enough...

Those shots of the RT Hawk are from an unbelievably far distance. I just love my 300mm + 2xTC - despite what so many say about the 2x or TC's in general. Cold, clear days like this morning are perfect for this setup.

I'll try to remember to get a shot of the overall scene so you can see my vantage point to the target. Perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks again!

See my website HERE.

Lovely shots Loupey, and i wish our sky was that colour instead of permenantly grey at the moment with days of rain!
    Jaedon said exactly what i was thinking, I could never get bored with photos of birds of prey, static or flight shots, they are just too stunning a bird, and if you get a good shot of the owl you talked about that would be sooo exciting, as i have been studying 2 owls near me, but the light being so bad (very late in day) i have'nt clinched anything yet, so get going Loupey and lets see that Owl!!
    "Live Life to the full, theres no rehersals"
    www.bevbarkerphotos.com
    www.k9imageworld.com

If you'll allow me, here are some shots of the location. Most of my recent work has been coming from this field. This is about as "pristine" as we get here in north central Ohio. I just wish I "discovered" this field a few years ago. I only lived and worked just a few miles from it back then

1st shot - see the encroaching houses on the east side of the park? See that walkway over the marsh - people are going to find me permanently laying there come spring Can't wait.

2nd shot - the path continues to the left of the tree line for about 2 miles

3rd shot - the west side of the park stops at the noisy interstate. I used to work just on the other side over there.

4th shot - I usually don't shoot from inside my vehicle. But the hawks won't come out if anyone is out or if vehicles are moving. Had to wait inside the truck for about an hour for the hawk to land in those gorgeous oaks.

5th shot - male and female were barely visible from a distance. The crunchy snow didn't make for a nice approach.

So that's my world. Can't wait to see what this place draws come spring. The barred owl is 2 miles north from this location.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blue Sky Day-scene-1.jpg   Blue Sky Day-scene-2.jpg   Blue Sky Day-scene-3.jpg   Blue Sky Day-scene-rt.jpg   Blue Sky Day-scene-kestrels.jpg  

See my website HERE.

Thread Information