Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Birding Where and When

Greetings Dear Birders, (Travel Agents)
    I would like to take my wife to a easy accessible site where she can view a variety of birds.
    We are 78 and in pretty good shape (for the shape we are in). She is an 8+ year cancer survivor and is probably going to be on chemo the rest of her life. At the present she has chemo every Wednesday for three weeks then a week off.

Several of you post fantastic shots from in and around Merritt Island .

We have plans to visit family in Palm Coast so it looks like 60-70 miles to the south.

Enough background??? Please suggest some locations and dates and times with detail directions.

Thank you, One and ALL for info. Norris
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Birding Where and When

How far do you want to drive? I have heard nothing but great things about Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in New Mexico in the fall. Thousands of birds migrate here in the fall and spend the winter.

Here is a link to the official site.

Here is another site with lots of info.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I am in Southwest Florida. Coming here (Fort Myers area) anytime between mid February to mid April produces some of the best birding around. Many locations, and many are accessible by just driving (Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Causeway, Lighthouse Fishing Pier, etc.).

Thank you Cannon Bob, We'll consider a trip to your neck of the woods.
    Friends have loved Sanibel , but they are "shellers". And we like shell too.
    I just enjoyed your "back after a time off" pictures. You have been missed by me.

Thanks also to mjs1973, if we are ever able to make that long of a trip we'll keep your suggestion on the "back burner". I did get to NM back in '72 with our church bus and 38 high school students. The only bird I remember from that trip was a scissor tail fly catcher.

Since we will be in Palm Coast FL that is what I was hoping to get additional info for the EAST coast of Florida.

Anyone else, your suggestions are ALL appreciated.

Norris
    Plant a tree, help it grow. Children need something to climb.
    Critique any picture; any where; any time.

Do you know about the Viera Wetlands near Merritt Island?

ALOT of the photos posted here are from Viera. It's all open wetlands that you can drive around so you really don't have to get out of your car sometimes! Well... Unless you want to find a Least Bittern. A few months ago Viera had a ton of Grebe, Great Heron, Sandhill Crane, Limpkin chicks, and more.

http://www.wildlifesouth.com/Locatio...aWetlands.html

The Orlando Wetlands has some good wildlife sometimes but it can be a bit of a walk in the heat.
    http://www.nbbd.com/godo/orlandowetlands/

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Wish I could help, but I am only somewhat familiar with Bob's area.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information