Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>

Arizona Squirrels - (one's you probably HAVE seen)

First one is a Round-tailed Ground Squirrel. Eastern people often mistake them for prairie dogs, due to their resemblance.

The second is a Harris's Antelope Squirrel. It is often mistaken for a chipmunk.

All pictures taken at my place in Arizona
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arizona Squirrels - (one's you probably HAVE seen)-rd_tl_squirrel.jpg   Arizona Squirrels - (one's you probably HAVE seen)-hsquirrel_loa.jpg  

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

Re: Arizona Squirrels - (one's you probably HAVE seen)

Nice images, but do you have a side view of the antelope squirrel. I have seen both, but the side view will be better for ID purposes ;) You obviously know your species(as do I for the most part), so I am sure you'll understand my request for a better ID shot.

If this bourd only gets 10 more people aware of the nature around them, it was all worth the time I spend moderating here
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by paulnj
    Nice images, but do you have a side view of the antelope squirrel. I have seen both, but the side view will be better for ID purposes ;) You obviously know your species(as do I for the most part), so I am sure you'll understand my request for a better ID shot.

If this bourd only gets 10 more people aware of the nature around them, it was all worth the time I spend moderating here

Okay, here's some other angles…

First, Round-tailed Ground Squirrel standing. You can see why people would think they are prairie dogs.

Second and third, side and rear view of Harris's Antelope Squirrel. Lateral stripe and color (resembling antelope markings) responsible for part of the name. It tends to carry it's tail curled over the top of it's body.

Note: Not the greatest photos, but, should help with field identification
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Arizona Squirrels - (one's you probably HAVE seen)-cleetus2.jpg   Arizona Squirrels - (one's you probably HAVE seen)-harris_side_lo.jpg   Arizona Squirrels - (one's you probably HAVE seen)-harris_rear.jpg  

Pentax Forum Moderator

Although I was born and raised in Arizona...I am one who makes the above mentioned mistakes. So, Paul and C.J., you have definitely educated me tremendously!!! hehe Great captures CJ...
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

These images are great for ID work. I am a birder and know the importance of ID shots as salable images. wildlife images usually are ID shots or modified versions of ID work(IMHO) but, they don't all need to be(like the original antelope squirrel ) ;)
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information