Nature and Wildlife Photography Forum

Discuss all types of nature and wildlife photography, photo techniques, equipment, and share your nature and wildlife photos.
Featured Photo
Photo by BMOORE

by BMOORE
Featured Photo Archive >>
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 4 Basics

Re: The 4 Basics

These are great photos.I found this threat mostly helpful.Thanks , good job

Useful info Thanks..

interesting! i don't think i would have thought of doing any of those things (except for # 4) thanks for the tips!

banished

Yeah great info thanks...

Wow.. some of the clicks are excellent.. guys can you give me a suggestion:

If I have clicked some of the pictures and want to improve them for printing on canvas, can you please help me know any image Enhancer tool/software available so that I can enhance my images.

I have heard of i2e Image Enhancer but did not get any true reviews about it. Probably any other tool apart from Adobe Photoshop as it takes lot of time and I have many photos :-(

Thanks in advance

Informative post. I really impressed by your photos.

Useful information thanks.

Cool Re: The 4 Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Loupey View Post
    It’s easy to get sucked in to trying to learn all the fancy features that modern cameras have. Keep in mind that the technical aspect of photography is still based on only 4 simple basic adjustments:

The Focus
    The ISO
    The Shutter Speed
    The Aperture

Once these are fully understood, you can disable and disregard all those other “features” of the camera which I feel always takes more time and thought to use than manually adjusting the above. Auto exposure bracketing? Exposure compensation? Av/Tv? Spot metering? Evaluative metering? Sports mode, Portrait mode, landscape mode,…..? You can forget about all of those.

Since 3 of the 4 adjustments above are used to determine exposure, there are only two manual functions that we are controlling: focus and exposure. Since manual focus issue has been beaten to death , Let’s talk about manual exposure. Here’s what I do in virtually every outing:

1. As soon as I step out of the truck with camera in hand, I look for anything that will be in the same light (as my target subject) that is middle-toned and meter for that. Since all camera meters try to make every scene middle-toned, reading the measurements of a middle-toned object should be “accurate” for any given light.
    2. In manual mode, I adjust the shutter speed and/or aperture until the built-in meter reads center (proper exposure). The actual values don’t matter yet – just so long as the meter reading is centered. In this example, the values are 1/250s at f/11
    3. Take a test shot (don’t even worry about the focus) and review the image and histogram. Since you just photographed a middle-toned image, the histogram should not be clipped at either end. If your camera doesn’t display a histogram, just look over the image and see that no part is white nor black. In very bright light when I can’t see the LCD image well enough to judge, I look only at the histogram.
    4. If the test image/histogram looks right, you can now quickly find the appropriate shutter speed/aperture combination by moving the values in equal stop increments. As long as both are adjusted in unison, every combination will yield the same proper exposure. So for shooting with a straight 300mm, I might use 1/1000s at f/5.6 or 1/750s at f/6.7.

That’s it! I do this while walking to my spots and it takes about 10 seconds. On a cloudless day, I can use this one exposure value from 10am to 3pm. Now if I want to boost/subtract exposure a little for various subjects (light/dark bird, small patch of snow, a spotlight of sun, etc), I can just flick my shutter speed dial a notch or two one way or the other while shooting. That’s my “exposure compensation” .

If the subject runs into the shade or clouds roll in, repeat the above steps. As long as your test subject is middle-toned (green grass, field of brown weeds, light brown sand, etc) and in the same light, exposure will be correct.

Hope you’ll try it. Easy to master. Then you can devote all your attention on the creative side of photography :thumbsup: .

i am looking into taking up photography and because my dad lives works on a farm and i have access to lots of land - and rabbits,deers,etc. - i have a small budgett £130-ish and i was thinking of getting a Canon PowerShot SX400 16MP Bridge Camera , what r your opinions?

Very helpful and useful post. Great job. Thanks for sharing.
    Image background remove service provider.

He's back!!! I miss this place so much! Loupey, you may not remember payn817 but if you do, It's me.

Thanks for sharing

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpnda843 View Post
    He's back!!! I miss this place so much! Loupey, you may not remember payn817 but if you do, It's me.
    Of COURSE I remember you!!! I hope you're still around....
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Hello world - I have just joined today and look forward to posting a few of my images up. Also looking for advice on some dslr subjects, I'm old school (shooting film and processing my own stuff) but recently moved over to digital cameras. I shoot mostly landscape for my own work but do some commercial work which I find challenging with a dslr mostly on the AF focusing.. but practice makes perfect.

Anyway hello all...

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Hello Artby and welcome to the site! I'm old school too (used to process all my B&W and color E6 films and print color prints on Cibachrome paper) but there are no advantages to staying old school so I'm glad you moved to digital. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

hi Loupey many thanks for the welcome - I will get some images uploaded soon :-)

I had a recent trip to Settle Yorkshire UK... this is looking back down the valley to the town..

The 4 Basics-settle-1200x800.jpg

Thanks for this great Post.............

Useful information thanks.

oks like it's not going to happen.

Animals, plants, trees, nice views are my favorite subjects. Hoping to learn more about photography here.

Great Information. Thank you for sharing.

Useful!
    Thanks for the information.

Very useful information!
    Thanks for sharing with us.

Sorry for bumping this thread up after 6 months, but that is some really good advice!

I haven't even got my dSLR yet (getting it 2 weeks today I hope!), but has given me a better idea of what I can do with it and how I can do it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information