Who's Using Firefox?

Printable View

• 11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
    Photo-John
    Who's Using Firefox?
    Anyone else using the latest version of Firefox? Anyone else having problems? I think they screwed up in a hige way. I think I'm going to have to quit using it. It's using so much of my laptop's memory that it locks up the whole thing and I can't even shut down the browser. They had captured a good portion of the browser marketshare. But now I think thet're going to lose a lot. I can't use it anymore.
  • 11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
    drg
    Re: Who's Using Firefox?
    John,

Smartwombat started a thread:
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...ad.php?t=27034
    about Firefox over this past weekend.

I've been using it for about two weeks (11/5/2006) off and on with Celeron's and Pentium's plus the Toshiba notebooks. No problems. Loaded, ran, hasn't crashed and side by side on two Sony Vaio's that are virtually identical the Firefox was running considerably faster from enter to display on most web sites than IE7. Windows XP on all the machines.

I am not using it as my default browser, yet. Have not had any problem with software that requires a browser for manuals or the like. The WiFi testing should commence this weekend after Turkey Day or first of next week. I have used it some on WiFi with seemingly no issue.

Very curious to know what you've had occur. I've had some reports back from some IT oriented friends of problems in heavy(every MS app known to man) microsoft environments.

CD
  • 11-21-2006, 01:45 PM
    WsW-WYATT-EARP
    I am using the new version ... I do see what your saying .. even on my desktop it will lock up ... but I have been able to shut it down and keep running ... I still prefer firefox over IE ... maybe I will download opera again .. used to like that browser also ..

I can't remember if I have updated the version of FF on the laptop yet ...
  • 11-21-2006, 02:50 PM
    SmartWombat
    No problems for me :)
    Works on the laptop just fine.
    I alt+tab from FF to Excel back and forwards while logging sports forum images .... no memnry problems with 1G in the lapiie :D

IE7 was crash city :(
    So IE7 didn't make it to the laptop.

I'm still one patch short fo making the tab behaviour like version 1.

I would not now want to give up AdBlock, Filterset G, All-In_One Sidebar, FlashBlock, and NoScript - the Microsoft equivalents for IE7 either don't work as well, or are not free.

FireFox has a 235M working set size, with about 40 message threads open in diffferent tabs.
    Reducing to 115M with only about:blank open.

After you've reafd the FAQ:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq

Other great looking FF links:
    http://www.lifehacker.com/software/f...aks-209941.php
    http://www.tweakguides.com/Firefox_1.html
  • 11-21-2006, 08:48 PM
    jorgemonkey
    I've got the latest version on both my laptop & desktop, and have had no problems with it.

We also have it at work and haven't experienced any difficulties as well.
  • 11-21-2006, 09:25 PM
    Dylan8i
    i'm using the latest version of firefox. the only problem i have with it is every maybe 5th or 6th time i try to open the program it just doesn't open. and won't open again until i go to the task manager and shut all thet firefox windows down. then it works fine again for a while.
  • 11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
    zrfraser
    No problems here and I am only running 256mb RAM on my laptop. I quit using IE about about version 5. What problems are you running into?

Z
  • 11-22-2006, 12:55 PM
    Photo-John
    Bad Ad - My Mistake
    :eek:

Turns out it was an ad here that was locking it up - and IE, too. The ad has been stopped until the agency changes the code so that it doesn't crash browsers.
  • 11-22-2006, 03:45 PM
    SmartWombat
    Simple John, install the Adblock, Filterset G and Flashblock extensions in FireFox and the problem goes away.

OK so the adverts go away too, but as they're mostly US centred and I'm not in the USA, I don't feel too guilty about it. I get a twinge of guilt now and again, perhaps as a moderator maybe I ought to read the adverts. But I get over it after a beer :)