They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar

Redesign of my site

I've just finished redesigning my business site, please take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

476design
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

mjm
    that guy.
    1. Fix error "<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>"
    2. Put Javascript into external file
    3. Validate code (http://validator.w3.org/)

Colors & photos look nice.

http://www.476design.com/dp/index.htm on line 13 you have a typo in the line at Portraiture™ the little box shouldn't be in the line I think it is the tm (trade mark) isn't getting through the validator. I'm not sure that is what mjm is eluding too. Not an error to me that is something to worry about, I'm not sure the validator is showing the syntax of your page correctly anyway.

Sometimes I think these validators are a load of S*** and cause more headaches than they are worth.

You design nice effective web pages, I like the layout and the fact you use templates for your pages too, makes it easier to get a page up on a site much quicker and changes are easier within the pages, as you adjust just the template which then reflects through all pages based on them.

The thing I don't like is in the gallery, you have picture place holders showing without any images there (OK they are the for the future), but I think it detracts from the gallery with them there. Have them, but hide them.

They call me Andy... ACArmstrong's Avatar
    The thing I don't like is in the gallery, you have picture place holders showing without any images there (OK they are the for the future), but I think it detracts from the gallery with them there. Have them, but hide them.
    In DP? I'm not sure where you're referring to Peter - help me out with a link. Are you referring to the detail1 detail2 links?
    Andy Armstrong
    Please visit my photography site - Andy Armstrong Photography

I like your site...has good flow and navigation. The only thing I would recommend is having a place where the consumer can get an idea for how much a basic site would run. But that might be your stragedy to get them to contact you...but either way I like your site.
    Sites I've built

Quote: "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop to look around once in a while...you could miss it." Ferris B

Sorry didn't see this reply from you till now

Andy

I don't know why I haven't seen this post from you before, I look in here everytime I see a post, but I have noticed that sometimes this website engine doesn't seem to work totally correctly all the time.

Yes the thing I was taling about are the hyper links to detail info, I don't understand the point of showing text links just sitting with lots a white space around them. It just looks strange to me, that's all. Yes they do open up images, but I would think having thumbnails instead of test links to show what the detail is you are talking about is a visual thing over a text thing.

Does that make sense to you.

I redesigned my www.flashram.com.au site as well, am in the process of redoing my photography website, although that is alive as well at present.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm
    1. Fix error "<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>"
    2. Put Javascript into external file
    3. Validate code (http://validator.w3.org/)

Colors & photos look nice.
    and i'll add the following...

4. nice visual design (good!)
    5. old out-dated coding approach (bad!)--- get rid of using tables for layout and use CSS

Opinionated Newbie
    ckozo -- I think that you are a little off here. There is a philosophy of some that believe that tables should not be used for layout, but it is by no means spreading fast. Using CSS with positioning is slower and can be far less accurate. When attempting to slice multiple images into one, using absolute positioning can be a disaster. Tables on the other hand, by setting 0 borders, specific alignment and no padding, are very effective.

The W3C (which has lost some influence) may encourage absolute positioning, but it is not always the answer.

Admittedly, Microsoft, in the .NET platform (ASP.NET) definitely encourages absolute positioning. We are moving that direction but I would be willing to bet that 80 - 90% of sites today still use tables for layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Patten
    ckozo -- I think that you are a little off here. There is a philosophy of some that believe that tables should not be used for layout, but it is by no means spreading fast. Using CSS with positioning is slower and can be far less accurate. When attempting to slice multiple images into one, using absolute positioning can be a disaster. Tables on the other hand, by setting 0 borders, specific alignment and no padding, are very effective.
    since you are promoting web design, i suggested CSS. as an ex-pro web designer, i always look at other designers/coders to see how they build their sites. i converted to full CSS for layouts some time ago and after the required learning curve would never go back to using tables for layout. IMHO, the advantages are too great to return to using tables for layout.

i would disagree with much of your comments but then we could go on for a long time in discussing our viewpoints. it is a hot debate. any design forum will argue the design/code philosophy until everyone is 'blue in the face'. let's not go there, please!

anyhoo...good luck with your buisness!

Thread Information