don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Peter, need help with TotalChoiceHosting...

Peter,

As you may remember, on your recommendation I switched my web hosting services to TotalChoiceHosting (www.totalchoicehosting.com).

Up to this point, I've been very happy with them hosting my site, The Photo Asylum, but I've had the Basic Resellers package with the intention of using my extra disk space for other clients' sites, and now I'm ready to move in that direction.

I'm unsure on how to go about this, and was hoping you might be able to help. I've searched their site FAQs and Help pages, and can't quite find the exact advice I need...

What I want to do is design a site for a client, have their custom domain name point to a seperate folder on the server with all the pages part of that domain. IOW, a totally serperate account and site, not connected to mine.

I will be the webmaster for the site(s), so independent password access is not essential.

Would this be considered a subdomain? Or perhaps an addon domain? And if so, can I set this up through my cPanel?

On the reseller support page, they keep mentioning a WHM (Web Hosting Manager page), but I have no idea what that is, or how to access it or set it up.

Thanks for any help you can give. Normally, I would just email you with this, but I thought posting it here might be useful to others who may have similar ideas...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Peter, need help with TotalChoiceHosting...

Hi Steve,

For the domain like this you would setup a top level domain after registering the domain name with someone like godaddy.com. You would use WHM to setup the domain and then it has it's own cPanel created which you would then administer the domain that way like you do your own domain. When you create a domain using WHM and then say login to your main cPanel you will then see a drop down listing with yours and the other domain. You can also login to cPanel using the new domain name and password as well and administer it that way.

Once you get into WHM you set up packages that will suit what you want them to be and allocate the file and traffic you think is necessary for that package. Also when you do this, it will list the amount of packages available to you given the different packages you setup. So if you setup say 50 meg packages, 100 meg and 150 meg packages as well, it will tell you how many of each package you can setup making the calculations easier on the mind.

It is pretty easy once you get in there, just clicking on the options you get a visual display. I can put you on msnmessenger or yahoo and when you go online I can chat you through the process at the same time doing it on the WHM of mine so the steps are the same. Once you do it once, you see OH not that bad at all.

So steps are, register a domain name first for the clients site.

Then create the packages in WHM.

Setup the clients account in WHM using the oppropriate package.

When you have done that, you go to the cPanel and login either your own or the new one.

Then take it from there.

Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    Once you get into WHM you set up packages that will suit what you want them to be and allocate the file and traffic you think is necessary for that package..
    Thanks Peter, but as I mentioned in my first post, I don't know how to access the WHM.

The help pages mention installing the WHM on a clean server and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo (industry term) that got me lost in a hurry.

Is the WHM something that I should already have and just need to access, or is it something I need to install or set up?

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Something you already have, it is similar to the link for the cPanel just a different port number.

yours should be http://www.photoasylum.com:2086 and then it should ask for your username and password. Save the link in your favourites I tested the link and it seemed to get to the right place although of course I couldn't login.

Let me know, send me an email if you need to, I am rebuilding my machine so not in here much at present.

Thanks Peter. Got to the page. It won't let me log in, but I'll have to deal with that tomorrow...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Might be the wrong port number then. Look in your original email that you got from TCH as it should have the links in that email to your WHM panel and your cPanel.

Also you can look here for info as well. http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/fo...showtopic=3730

If you can't login to WHM then you might need to lodge a support ticket to see what the problem is. https://ssl.totalchoicehosting.com/supportdesk/

Figured out my problem...

Peter,

Apparently it is not unusual to have trouble logging in to the "2086" port URL. I found a help tutorial here: http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/ that suggested trying the URL "www.domainname.com/whm" instead of the port number link.

It worked and got me to my WHM. So, thanks again. I'll play a bit here and let you know if I hit any more snags...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Figured out my problem...

No problem Steve anytime, you know I am always happy to help you as you have me with any problems. Hope the New Year was a good one for you and it continues that way.

Thread Information