No "Save As" when you right click...?

I have been using Microsoft Frontpage to build a very basic website. Is there a way for me to make the "save as" option un-available to someone right clicking on a photo?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Rebekah
    VillenaDeCorte
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Re: No "Save As" when you right click...?

Found this for you...But right-click disabling is a fairly unpopular feature, since it disables it for the entire page, not just the pictures, and it can be sort of annoying. It also doesn't go a long way towards preventing people from taking your photos.

-paste it in just before the "/body" tag at the bottom, and put the <> around the "Script Language" and "/Script" lines.

SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript"
    var message="Copyright © You do not have permission to copy these images please e-mail me and ask for the picture you want "; // Message for the alert box
    function click(e) {
    if (document.all) {
    if (event.button == 2) {
    alert(message);
    return false;
    }
    } if (document.layers) {
    if (e.which == 3) {
    alert(message);
    return false;
    }
    }
    } if (document.layers) {
    document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
    } document.onmousedown=click;
    // End hiding script from old browsers --> /SCRIPT

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

thanks for the info- i appreciate it. This website is actually for someone else, and the function is at their request. on my own personal website i don't have the disabling function... but its alllll copyrighted
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Nothing is safe no matter what you do, everything can be got at if someone really wants it. There are even programs that steal the whole of sites, one of them is sitethief.

If they are images that are the main concern you can pay a fee and imbed a digital signature into the photo, that can then be traced if it is being used on other sites that aren't santioned by the owner of the image.

http://www.digimarc.com is one instance it is in Photoshop CS so you should be able to address it from there. There are different levels of service available as well.

Thanks Peter, I agree. I dont think he'll want to go that far (if he does, he'll have to find someone else to help him ;) !). I told him my site's images are all less than an inch in print size. Hopefully he'll be satisfied with what he's got so far. I told him if he's that concerned, don't put the image up

Thanks again guys for the feedback!

Rebekah
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

- Marx

No problem.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Yeah, a touchy subject...

I am one of those that hates the "no right click" clause on a site. As others have mentioned, it can be very annoying and it doesn't really do much to protect an image from being copied.

The thing is, there are other uses to right clicking than just copying an image. I'm often interested in the properties of an image file, physical and file size, etc., or even the name someone gives to an image file.

Also, many times I copy someone else's image to my HD to take a closer look at it in photoshop and learn things about the way it was done, or use it as reference for ideas I'm working on. Or, in the case of fashion, sometimes I'll use another photog's pic of a model as a reference so I'll remember what the model looks like.

BTW, (not being a legal expert), my understanding is that these fall under fair use, IOW not considered illegal uses of a photo, nor a violation of someone's copyright. It's basically the web equivalent of tearing out a magazine or book page and saving it.

For me, the bottom line is to publish relatively low resolution images, make your copyright information clear to viewers, and try to keep an eye out for blatant illegal commercial use of your pics.

Other than that I just chill...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

disabling right click save as won't stop somebody from ripping your web site or taking parts of the web page you need to use a lower grade, distort them, and watermarks a little some use digital marks that need software to read the digital mark this method is used by the dvd movie industry for preview dvds if a preview dvd movie shows up on the internet it can be traced back to the person it was issued to a way to do it with pictures could be done the same a user or customer logs into a secure web site then the picture can be downloaded from a link with a digital mark of the user or customers name added to the digital mark.

Thread Information