New Website Design

I just created a new website and wanted to know if you guys could give me some feedback.

www.nenque.com

I am a photojournalist in the Beaumont, Texas area. Currently, I am using my site as a portfolio to drive freelance clients to me. Any suggestion welcome.

Thanks for your help

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images  

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Fine site, fine work...

Quote Originally Posted by nenque
    I just created a new website and wanted to know if you guys could give me some feedback...
    Welcome to the site, Andrew. I have to say, I can't find anything to criticize about either your site or your work. The site is clean looking, logically organized, and easy to navigate.

Your work is most impressive, especially considering your seem equally comfortable and skilled at studio/location lighting shots, sports action, and news reportage imagery.

Ok, one tiny thing. The type on your BIO page is a little hard to read...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

GB1

Re: New Website Design

Andrew - Looks very nice overall. Below are a few nit-picks:

- Not sure why you have all that blank HTML below the home page table? There's only a small graphic down there ("Top Photographers")
    - Add a line or two of blank space above that table to balance out the blank on the left and right a bit
    - Your name at the top left should be a hyperlink to your bio or something.
    - Clicking on an image takes you to other parts of the site. Is there any way to get back to the front page? Not that it's that important or even that desireable, but just that most sites do.
    - Other pages' thumbs are small, but not annoyingly so. But, I think that the image that displays to the right when you click on them should be bigger. I would assume a 1024x 768 resolution nowadays.
    - All thumbs etc load relatively slow. I hope you are not loading the full sized images and then resizing them in the HTML... This is the easiest way for a programmer to do it, but alas the slowest and worst for the viewer.
    - Clicking on the Enlarge button under an image should do something, but it isn't when I try it
    - The text is a bit busy in many spots. The bold text might contribute to this. The footer has too much stuff on it - your name, all the years, etc. Just too much maybe.

That's enough for one day. Any more and I'll have to charge you a consulting fee

Btw here's an interesting site that's remarkably simple. A friend showed it to me awhile back:

http://braveelements.com

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Re: New Website Design

Overall I like the layout of your site. A couple of things I would have done different:

1. Used a slightly more readable font - on my screen the white against black looks very bright and difficult to read.
    2. Would have preferred to have seen the images that appear upon clicking the thumbnails to have been larger.

Other than that not bad for a DIY job :-) - I am assuming when you said you created it yourself you meant not hired someone!!!

Max
    "Websites for professional photographers"
    http://www.photoidentities.com

Thread Information