Question I'm lost, please help...

I'm in the process of looking for a web hosting service. I want display my work and possibly promote a service.

I now realize there is a variety of internet services for photogs. I'm not sure what to go with.

Do I still get a webhosting service to program my own website AS THE FRONT END to a webservice that will STORE MY PHOTOS and be an OUTLET to SELLING THEM?

It's a bit confusing. I've been out of it for a bit.

Some webservices will store and provide links to photogs that you have sold online.

Some services will allow people (for example just married couples) to look at proofs online and select what they want then collect their credit card info.....you can do the fullfillment or they can for you (printing).

Here is what I want to do....

I want a website with my own .COM where I can program my own website (Coldfusion preferred) and have personal gallery.

I would like to easily upload photos and have them catalog themselves...without me programing it.

I would like the site to take credit card...without me programing it.

I would like to venture into stock photography so it should probably send the high quality files to paying clients....

I would also like it to be a PROOF site for clients to pick and choose so I can send them prints...

Do I make sense? Is there an all in one service or do I need three? Do I still need the web hosting service?

I'd like to avoid programming all these things myself....I'm sure I don't have to.

I just need to find the right combonation...

Advice, please.

Thanks in advance....
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: I'm lost, please help...

Your best bet is to use a combination of building your own site for promotional purposes, and using a 3rd party service to provide the gallery and e-commerce function. In this case you'll need to sign up for hosting service in addition to registering the domain, and also sign up for an account with one of these 3rd party services, and just link between them.

http://www.printroom.com/ is a service that I'm thinking of using, but there are other companies that do the same thing, and others on this forum can let you know what they use.
    30D, 70-200 2.8L IS, 300 4L IS, 24-70 2.8L, 10-22, 85 1.8, 580EX
    Web Designer & Developer
    www.erikhagen.net
    www.callutheran.edu
    www.clusports.com

Quote Originally Posted by ekstasis16

http://www.printroom.com/ is a service that I'm thinking of using, but there are other companies that do the same thing, and others on this forum can let you know what they use.
    Thanks Ekstasis16. Printroom.com seems to have lots of services. I didn't notice anyting regarding emailing the clients the photo files. I'll reread it.

The initial 350MB storage is very small. $20 for every extra 100mb can add up for start up cost.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

manacsa, you are better off getting your own web hosting and designing the site to suit your needs. There are many free scripts out there now Joomla, Mambo, many hosting companies are now including a fantastico group of modules that are easily installed into website and it is growing.

If you need hosting I can arrange that for you, or advise you of a good hosting company as well that gives you all that you would need at a low cost too. Depends on what you want.

If you want to see what Joomla is like click on my flashram link below.

Both LabPrints/Photoherald (through your pro lab) and Photoreflect will let you do what you want. WIth Photoreflect I used to have images on my site that had "Buy Now" links that went directly to the correct image on my Photoreflect site. I am using LabPrints these days because they have direct deposit and work directly with my lab of choice.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_AUS
    manacsa, you are better off getting your own web hosting and designing the site to suit your needs. There are many free scripts out there now Joomla, Mambo, many hosting companies are now including a fantastico group of modules that are easily installed into website and it is growing.

If you need hosting I can arrange that for you, or advise you of a good hosting company as well that gives you all that you would need at a low cost too. Depends on what you want.

If you want to see what Joomla is like click on my flashram link below.
    Thanks, Peter. I'll look into it. I only know HTML, ColdFusion, and some ASP and JAVA. If Joomla or Mambo doens't fit there than I may not have the time to learn a new language to implement those scripts. If I'll save lots of money by doing that then I may puch myself to do it.

If I go the route suggested by Sebastian and ekstasis16 then I'll do GoDaddy.com since they have CF available (if I even need it) in combination with a photo ordering processing site.

It's a cost vs. time issue of course. Thanks for the advice.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    Both LabPrints/Photoherald (through your pro lab) and Photoreflect will let you do what you want. WIth Photoreflect I used to have images on my site that had "Buy Now" links that went directly to the correct image on my Photoreflect site. I am using LabPrints these days because they have direct deposit and work directly with my lab of choice.
    Thanks Sebastian. I'll check them out.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Thread Information