I want your opinion...

Here is my website

Southern Focus Photography

I want your honest opinions about it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: I want your opinion...

Well first off, you should have a title for your site, having one helps the search engines find you.
    Your site is kind of minimal, but I think having something about you and how you think as a photographer would be good.
    I'd suggest you look at other photographers who do work similar to yours and see what they do and go from there.
    You should really have a title though, it give legitimacy to your site and make it look more professional.
    Good Luck!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

I don't do Flash only sites. No HTML option?

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

I don't like it, too slow. I agree with the "flash" thing

How can I be lost
    If I've got nowhere to go?

Sony a55 16-50mm 2.8 ssm Minolta 50mm 70-300 dt 5.6

Jennifer,

Did you design the site yourself?

In any case, for what you have you do not need Flash.... I know that with Flash it is easier to protect your photos, but the site's features are easily achieved with HTML, making it faster to load (although i had no issues regarding loading time)

Here are a couple of advantages to HTML:

1- Contains more details that are crucial for search engines to find you.... since the spiders that they send out do not read or register flash sites... for that you will need to pay for higher ranking!

2- to the exception of sophisticated animations (namely the rectangle which changes shapes pending on the section) HTML (in any HTML editor) does the menu's too

3- Compatible across the board. Some visitors will not have the latest version of the flash player and it will be a hassle to download it and then come back to see the site!

As for the website as is:

1- A bit too blue. you could use more white.
    2- The navigation is up on the corner and is not exactly direct. going Home means going to Menu>Home.... Menu contains Home, Contact, Download Dock, Packages, Photo Restoration....I know what home and contact is... but the rest are a mystery... they shouldn't be
    3- Contact is within Menu and although you mention it in the home page, it is much more effective to have a link to contact info available all the time!
    4- Having the "Menu" option might make the navigation less crowded but it doesn't exactly make sense... specifically that it is after the Gallery link!
    5- Since you have enough space that you could use.... I suggest breaking down the navigation as follows: Gallery - Dowload Dock - Packages - Photo Restoration - Cart - Light Box - Contact
    6- Sign in can be either next to where it says that i am not logged in or at the home page in the center!
    7- Since your Home page has nothing much but direction on how to use the site, there is no need for me to return to it... specifically if I have the option to sign in, even outside of Home. (which is why i did not add it to the navigation bar)

If you want some requirements for a good chance at a high rank with search engines... I can gather them for you! ( i don't have them all here... so I'll look for them if you need it)

One more thing, personally I dislike it when a site opens up in a separate window, specifically when the original page where it says enter... has no need to remain!

Hope this helps!
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Thread Information