I want to start learning designing graphics

Hi
    I need to design graphics for logoes banners etc.
    Do you know some helpful free online course or tutorial?
    thanks

Re: I want to start learning designing graphics

Try searching Google for free graphic design courses.

Nothing beats a good book though. Go to Barnes and Noble or what ever and grab a coffee and peruse a few books. You may end up buying one.
    My blog - Photography Rulez

'Slim' - K10D and *ist DL w/ SMCP DA 70mm 2.4 Limited, SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, SMC M 28mm f/2.8, SMC M 50mm f/1.7, and Tamron AF75-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Macro
    Slim of the Clan O'Canon - A1 w/ FD 28, 50, 70-210 & Sigma 500/1000 f8/f16

I can help you if you would like. What exactly would you like to learn?
    My User Bars FREE TO USE!

Lupo does know his stuff!! On more technology oreintated sites he has designed hundreds of sigs for users, including me!! He also does site design!

I have used VTC.COM which is an online video tutorial site. I think its like 30.00 for a month but they have tons and tons of great courses. you can also cancel after the first month and then sign up again when you need more lessons. For me its alot faster and easier then reading books and much cheaper then spending 50.00 on a book that may or maynot help you.

It is not that easy. You need a thorough knowledge of colour, light, texture, and page design. Along with that is a thorough knowledge of all the elements of design. Then comes an absolutely thorough technical knowledge of digital imaging, film, formats, and computers. Next comes fonts and printing styles. Photography is a given, as well as being able to change a photo image into a primitive graphic style piece of art.

Progressing to software, you need to be able to handle all kinds of 2D and 3D software, fractal creation, and animation. All graphics types have their favourite software. I even use a non PC and non MAC for some of my work.

Of course anyone can do primitive, poor quality work and I have seen a lot of very badly designed web sites out on the Internet. Looking at some of the best work out there in print or on the net will give you some ideas and goals to reach.

Ronnoco
    www.photoinf.com

Accepted photo standards in technique and composition are the tools used to judge photo quality.

Usel

Cyberlord and Ronnoco pretty much hit it on the head.

You have to learn a lot of stuff to be in this business. For example, I'm currently working on some lightboxes for our companies Las Vegas convention. In order to accomplish this I have to use Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Autodesk AutoCad, Powerpoint, Word, Excel, Quark, Google Earth, Microsoft Mappoint, photos, as well as working with the other designers and making sure all of our fonts and assets are in line with each other because some things are done on the Mac and some on the PC. Another example, Helvetica is practically the same font as Swiss. Stuff like this comes up all the time.

It doesnt' come over night, but it takes a lot of nights to get into this. It also helps to know some 3d stuff, but you don't have to be a Lightwave master to utilize it. The first thing to remember is that we live in four dimensional world; up/down, left/right, forward/backward, and time. Time is measureable, that's why it's a dimension. There are other programs that utilize this like Adobe After Effects, Autodesk combustion, maya, and Sony Vegas to name a few.

If you are going into page layout, you might try the Adobe Creative Suite. Since the new one is out, perhaps you can get a deal on CS2. Then get the Adobe classroom in a book series for each program. They are really pretty good and they are broken down into lessons. nothing beats a book at your hand. also, utilize the help files extensively. That's what they're there for.

and be ready for long nights and weekends because deadlines must be kept.

Lastly, never knock your physical drawing abilities with pencil and a scanner. you can do wonders.

Thread Information