Help with my web site

Sorry for putting this here but is anyone having problems viewing my web site.

Chunk e-mailed me with problems reading the navigation menu and since I went to look I can't reproduce that problem. On my system however I seem to have a different problem where thumbnails don't show until you double click on a photo to get the big version and then click on the thumbnail icon to go back.

Anyone who can take a look and report back would be a great help to sort this out.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

PS Moderators - if you feel this is inappropriate feel free to either delete or move
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

Re: Help with my web site

The only thing that I can't get to work is the photography topics link, it takes me to a blank page. Other than that I had no problems. Let me know if I can help more...
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

GB1

Roger - Shows fine on my Mozilla 1.7.12 browser. No problems at all with the items you discussed.

GB
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    The only thing that I can't get to work is the photography topics link, it takes me to a blank page. Other than that I had no problems. Let me know if I can help more...
    Greg
    Greg

I just reloaded it the site last night. Just wondering if you hit the site as it was being loaded and therefore was not all there. Would you mind giving it one more try please.

What browser are you using?

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital

No Roger, It's worse. I don't know if you are working on it now, 3:23am EST. But It finally locked my computer and I had to reboot. Your Wind Speed chart wasn't there, the photography topics page and one other area I can't remember. were blank....
    Greg
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

No Roger, It's worse. I don't know if you are working on it now, 3:23am EST. But It finally locked my computer and I had to reboot. Your Wind Speed chart wasn't there, the photography topics page and one other area I can't remember. were blank....
    Greg
    Greg,

Thanks - it works fine on my hard drive but when I put it up all sorts of things go wrong. I'm about to take the lot down and rebuild from scratch. That'll take a while. I'll put a maintenance page up for now.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Let us know when it's fixed.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Greg and anyone else who can test the site please feel free to give it a pasting and please report back with browser used and version and the problems if any you find.

I have completely wiped the site and reloaded the lot from scratch and made minor mods to try and get it to work. It now works on my machine both from the hard drive and the web site.

Thanks to all who try in advance.

Regrads
    Roger

DSLR
    Digital

It seems to be ok now. A little slow in the sailing area, but other than that nicely done...
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Thanks Greg your time and effort is really appreciated.

I noticed that. Its downloading a PDF so I may rewrite it as a HTML page tomorrow.

I need to add some more stuff in the sailing area.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

I've never been sailing in my life but would love to own a boat. Maybe one day. I'll keep an eye on your site....
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

I've never been sailing in my life but would love to own a boat. Maybe one day. I'll keep an eye on your site....
    Greg
    Greg,

Try and convince someone you know to buy and keep the boat - its a lot cheaper that way.

I have updated the site with a HTML version for the wind chart and a picture of my boat and the family and if you look really closely you'll see the dog as well. This was taken 2 years ago on a calm April morning in the Solent heading for Portsmouth (UK).

If you ever come to the UK give me a call and I'll take you sailing (preferably in the warmer months April - Oct otherwise your likely to get blown away and very wet.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Nice boat Rodger. Your site is much faster now. Thanks for the offer. I'm glad I could help. My site crashed last night, but I got it back up. I played around with the HTML editor.
    Greg

Sony a99/a7R

Tried looking at your site on both Windows and Mac based browsers. All seems fine from display of menu perspective. Only thing that seemed a little odd was that when the thumbs first show the entire page has a black background, that then changes color/colour after a good few seconds!

Regards,

Max
    "Websites for professional photographers"
    http://www.photoidentities.com

Quote Originally Posted by Photoidentities
    Tried looking at your site on both Windows and Mac based browsers. All seems fine from display of menu perspective. Only thing that seemed a little odd was that when the thumbs first show the entire page has a black background, that then changes color/colour after a good few seconds!

Regards,

Max
    "Websites for professional photographers"
    http://www.photoidentities.com
    Max,

I don't see this on my home PC - flushed my cache and still don't see this - is this on all the gallery pages? on some? or on all of the site?

But I get it on my work PC - will try and figure out what is going on. Thanks for looking into this.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Max,

Thanks for the testing the site. Finally found the problem and I believe that it is now sorted. Couldn't see this on my home PC but found it on the work laptop. Now I have another problem as the resolution of the laptop is only 1024 x 768 and the picture is not aligned with the top of the main frame.

Tried a few things in the style sheet but can't get it to align at both resolutions.

Anyone got any ideas?

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Nice boat Rodger. Your site is much faster now. Thanks for the offer. I'm glad I could help. My site crashed last night, but I got it back up. I played around with the HTML editor.
    Greg
    Greg

Nice site - I like the praying mantis and the halloween photo

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

I may have the brain the size of a large gas giant but its never used.

I think I have now sorted out all the problems with the web site including use on other resolution monitors.

Thanks for all the help - let me know if you find more bugs.

Roger

DSLR
    Digital

Thread Information