Dreamweaver MX or Golive CS

I am a novice at putting together a site, but I do have Dreamweaver MX and Adobe GoLive CS on my computer. Which is easiest to use and what books should I look for to help me?

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Dreamweaver MX or Golive CS

I too have both of these programs on my PC and I prefer to use Dreamweaver. I took a class on DW thru work a few years ago. When I decided to build a webpage, DW is the program I choose to use because it was the only program I was familiar with. It was a couple years after I took the class that I actually got to use the program, so I pretty much had to relearn everything. The company I work for has a library so I picked up a couple DW books to help me through. I think I used DW for Dummies, and The DW Bible. Dummies was OK and helped me figure out some stuff, and it wasn't nearly as intimidating as the DW Bible. My DW skills are still VERY basic, but I was able to build a couple of sites with it. I haven't been able to figure out GO Live yet, but I haven't put in much effort on it either. I think GO Live would intigrate much better with CS2 and make things a lot simpler, but I just haven't gotten that far yet.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Dreamweaver MX or Golive CS

Seeing Adobe has bought out Macromedia, I think it would be a good choice to stick with Dreamweaver as I think Golive will quietly die a slow death.

Adobe has recently purchased Pixmantec as well because they want the intellectual knowledge of the programmers who have gone across as well.

So I think next year is going to be a changing time with Adobe products, Web design, and Graphics programs as well.

Lightroom I think will take over from Bridge in Photoshop CS2 and probably will replace RAW converter as well, and become a much better integrated system, although it will probably be a resource hog, more than it is now.

Just my best guess looking at the types of acquisitions that Adobe has done.

Now there are going to be replies that tell you the other way round with Golive and Dreamweaver, it really becomes horses for courses. What you feel easier working in that gets the job done for you, is the best.

But have you thought about Content Management Systems (CMS) like Joomla as you then build within the content management side of things, without having to know any HTML etc. Just another thought.

Thread Information