Dreamweaver or Go Live

I want to design my wife and I a website for our photography. I have inherited both dreamweaver 8 and Go Live. Now I am going to invest in a book since I am a novice at web design, which is easier to navagate????
    Greg

Re: Dreamweaver or Go Live

I used dreamweaver a lot in one of my classes at Berry. Its really easy to navigate in my book. We learned the basics in one class period, and I was making online interactive quizzes later that day. My vote is for dreamweaver.

Z
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

Thanks Z,
    I guess Dreamweaver it shall be. I notice other people using it on here. I'll check Amazon out for a book. I got some B&W film in my camera right now I just haven't had time to go shoot. Look for me soon though.
    Greg

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

Dreamweaver, give me better control over the entire codeset.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

I too have both Dreamweaver and GoLive. I took small class in DW a few years ago and learned the basics. I didn't have access to the program other than the class, so once the class was over, so was my web building. A few years later I aquired Dreamweaver MX and retaught myself the basics. I have since tried to use GL but was never able to figure it out. I would like to figure it out since it's designed to mesh so well with Photoshop, and the other Adobe programs, but I don't have or want to spend the time on it right now.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

DreamWeaver...
    Enough said!
    Brian
    :thumbsup:
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Are you on a Mac? If so, the following has replaced Dreamweaver for 99% of my layout:

http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/

Did I mention is costs $25.00? I still use Dreamweaver, but only because it makes a half decent text editor and I can't make myself stop using it after buying the damn thing.

BTW, it's not really official, but the consensus is that GoLive is pretty much on the way out since the Macromedia takeover. All official statements only say the GoLive and Freehand will be "supported" in the future, but no signs of them saying they'll continue development. Add to that the fact that the latest Creative Suite Premium update includes both Dreamweaver and GL and you have to wonder.

Honestly, if you just hanker down and learn basic HTML and CSS2 you can produce really slick sites that are much more search engine and accessibility friendly with a half decent text editor and CSS editor (if you really want it) for under $100. The only reason I don't regret getting the Macromedia package is because I use Flash a lot.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

No Mac, I have a PC, Thanks for the info on Go Live....
    Greg

I've been using Dreamweaver for a years and appreciate how it has evolved. Not only is it good for basic HTML and CSS but it works well as a PHP, ASP (but not .Net), and Coldfusion editor. I also lke the site management features. I haven't used GL since it first released and I didn't like it then. Doesn't make sense for Adobe to continue with GL now that they own DW.

:thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    I want to design my wife....
    Have you figured this part out?
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Greg, although i feel your mind is made up about DW, i just wanted to add the following:

Both softwares are pretty good and sturdy, however, one needs to look at how user friendly they are. In this way, and matters of layout, you might find GL friendlier since it is "almost" based on the adobe way of laying out palettes... i say almost....

Dreamweaver however has proven to be the most efficient HTML editor around in matters of compatility and design strength. The key to all your web design will be to know the DESIGN... once that is decided upon, the software is nothing more than a simple tool...

In any case, i definitely suggest DW, and here are 3 books i think are pretty good, i haven't read them, but i do know the series for others (I am a designer so my own books were a bit different )

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamweaver-Mi...282490-6692924

http://www.amazon.com/Macromedia-Dre...4021387&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamweaver-Du...4021387&sr=1-3

hope this helps
    Marc
    Marc

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but rather, when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de St-Exupery

Kindly do NOT edit my photos - I would rather try and apply your advice and learn...

My Ramblings....

Dreamweaver is the best. I have never really heard of go live. But it probaly isnt a very big program. With Dreamweaver, you can do so much with it. And is such a good program to use!
    My User Bars FREE TO USE!

Thread Information