Book recommendations - starting out

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a book on how to build a website? I'm looking at something pretty basic, both as far as my skill level goes and as far as what I want to do with it.

I want to build a photo website, and really like the very classy simple look to Sebastian's own site for example. I have a domain name that I used with a template site but have since cancelled that site although still have the domain name. One other thing - I have a Mac and there is a way to easily upload a website to .Mac but that's not really what I'm looking for (would rather use my domain name, and I don't think that's possible). Can I use this software, or do I need to get something else?

For hosting, I know I won't need much - a "basic" package should be fine. I don't need an email address on that domain name, and would probably go to a contact form instead of just listing my email address.

I'd rather spend the time to learn how to do it myself than spend more money on something that might be easier. Plus it will give me more options for changing things later. Any tips?

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

Re: Book recommendations - starting out

Steve,
    I use Dreamweaver, and I bought the "DW for Dummies" I thought it was a fine book. I even emailed the author and had a small dialouge with her about my site afterwards.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Re: Book recommendations - starting out

Yikes - that's $400... Too bad they don't have an "Elements" version!

After buying a new computer, still needing a new camera and some software I'm a bit tapped out to spend that kind of money on a "hobby to support another hobby". Anything that does a decent job for less cash?

Thread Information