Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

Why format an SD card?

I've read where someone recommends formatting the card after uploading, vs. deleting the images. Why? My camera manual says it shouldn't be necessary to format a card unless you get an error message.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

Re: Why format an SD card?

This is something that comes up every now and then. When you merely "delete" an image, you are not really getting rid of it - you are just allowing the camera to put a new picture over the old one (a bit like when you delete something on the computer you are not really getting rid of it but just allowing it to be over-written).

Gradually, your memory card might acquire all sorts of little part files, etc which could (in the end) result in a corrupted picture.

Formatting it, on the other hand, totally cleans the card as though it is new.

As a general rule, I would always format, apart from when I am just deleting selected images.

Hope this helps
    Mike
    Mike Dales ARPS
    My website: www.mikedalesphotography.co.uk

Thanks for the reply Mike. It makes complete sense to me.
    Mike
    www.specialtyphotoandprinting.com
    Canon 30D X 2, Canon 100-400L, Thrift Fifty, Canon 18-55 IS 3rd generation lens plus 430 EX II flash and Better Beamer. :thumbsup:

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

I learned something new everyday.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

A flash memory card has a limited number of write cycles. (usually 100,000 or so) This is what determines the cards' life. When it is formatted, the action helps to sort of "reset" the number of writes. (This assumes that the next set of writes will not occur in exactly the same sectors of the memory) Although I don't format every time I dump my cards, it's not a bad idea to do it from time to time. Keep in mind that formatting is simply overwriting the card with zeros.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Didache
    This is something that comes up every now and then. When you merely "delete" an image, you are not really getting rid of it - you are just allowing the camera to put a new picture over the old one (a bit like when you delete something on the computer you are not really getting rid of it but just allowing it to be over-written).

Gradually, your memory card might acquire all sorts of little part files, etc which could (in the end) result in a corrupted picture.

Formatting it, on the other hand, totally cleans the card as though it is new.

As a general rule, I would always format, apart from when I am just deleting selected images.

Hope this helps
    Mike
    I hate to say. That formating a CT,SD, or any other type of Media does not rewrite the whole card. All formating does is write a new directory/allocation table. That is way photos and documents can be recovered.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Freygr is correct in nothing other than the directory/allocation table is overwritten. The reason for formatting over erasing is that it is quicker to do and gives you the maximum contiguous writing space for your next set of pics and a clean directory table.

Always format camera cards. Do not delete pics until you've downloaded them to a safe place that way you won't get a corrupted card or delete something by mistake.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

thanks for information

thanks for everything...

Thread Information