Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What's a good photography book?

I hope this is in the right spot!!!!!!!!!!

I currently have a D40x, but I am planning on buying a D90 within the next month or 2. I have been wanting to get into photography, and I am looking for a book that will help me. I would like to know how to use the manual settings, as I have just used the auto presets on the D40x. I would like to have a pretty good understanding of photography on a DSLR before I decide to upgrade. I usually take pictures of scenery, vehicles (mainly Jeeps) and my family.

I went to my library yesterday to see if they had a book specific to the D90, but they did not, and I don't want to buy a book for the D90, just in case I change my mind on the camera that I want.

I went to photo.net to look at some of the pictures on there and I was very impressed with most of the pictures. I hope to maybe one day make a career out of photography, but I have 2 small kids and can't make it to any classes right now, so I was hoping to find a GREAT book to teach myself until I can take some classes.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!!

Re: What's a good photography book?

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is the book I most see mentioned. It's not camera specific, but teaches the basics of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

I will second eos3's recommendation.

I will third eosthree's recommendation and also suggest you look at the latest edition of Digital Photography for Dummies. I know some people don't like the "Dummies" books, but when I started digital a few years ago, my wife bought it for me and I found it covered just about everything a beginner at digital would want to know. From the non-technical or aesthetics perspective, any book by Freeman Patterson will give you good guides and ideas on the more creative side of photography in general. HTH.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

drg

I'd recommend for a more general/beginner's approach to look at any of the current National Geographic guides to photography. They cover everything from how a digital (dSLR or compact) work to composition and printing. Beautiful example photography too!

The Photography for Dummies (or idiosts or whatever) are great guides but I've never been a fan of their 'examples' as they are overly simple. Yes, you want to not chop off some one's head when taking a portrait . . . I think that is pretty obvious and doesn't require as much detail as at least one of those volumes went into.

Peterson's book, though often recommended is getting pretty dated even in the newer versions. Johnson, Freeman, and others all have gone way beyond his works which was derivative of techniques of others in the first place. Now if you want to shoot film at some point in the future assuming you can get film (don't yell film folks, I'm still with you) Peterson's book(s) are a good reference, but it isn't a basic book even though it is 'simple'.

Kodak has published a number of fine beginner to advanced guides to photography over the years. Most major photography publications have issued a book or a series of 'special' issues (available in reprint if appropriate) that address virtually every 'how-to' topic imaginable. The local bookstore, even 'newstand/book section' at the superstore of choice will have a publication or two that may be what you want to start with.
    CDPrice 'drg'
    Biography and Contributor's Page

Please do not edit and repost any of my photographs.

Thank you everyone. I'll try to make it to the library today and see what they have!

snuffles, one that I had forgotten about, but I found it very useful is Hands-On digital photography, a step-by-step course in camera controls, software techniques, and successful imaging, by George Schaub. I found it well illustrated and to the point, yet fairly easy to read. HTH some more.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Thread Information