Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
    Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

what's going on here?

So I have noticed this thing that seems to happen with my photos... I keep getting this weird reflection/mirroring on my faces. The way I figure it, the faces are at the top of the photo so it is just reflecting that part of the image. THis one's not too pronounced, but some have been pretty bad. Images below.

Now.... let me explain my thought process in this -

At first I thought, oh might just be out of focus. Well, out of focus shouldn't blur the way this is blurring. If you look closely, it's creating almost a mirror image below the logo on the helmet. Secondly, this was shot looking up a hill, so the line of focus would probably connect the rider's face to about his chainring. His chainring is in focus. Face... not so much.

Fast shutter speed, so I don't think that's the problem, it's not motion blur.

The only thing I could think of was that maybe I was pulling down on my camera body, and therefore creating a little space between the lens and the mount at the top of the mount. This would cause the sensor to come off its axis and change the way it records the image. But I shot without the monopod and didn't pull down and it seemed to still show up.

Checked all the screws on the lens and the body mounts, and they're all snug and secure, inspected everything thoroughly.

Tested the lens for back focusing, and it's all fine.

70-200mm f/2.8 vr lens.

This is really baffling me.... maybe someone else can shed some light on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what's going on here?-bnd_2099.jpg   what's going on here?-bnd_20991.jpg   what's going on here?-bnd_20992.jpg  

Re: what's going on here?

Brent, What kind of shutter speed? As crazy as this sounds it may be motion blur. When looking at the close crop of his face I can see Giro has a ghost effect to it. If the rider's head has some movement to it the further away from the neck is going to show the movement more? I have noticed better riders heads have less movement than other less experienced riders. My 2 Cents.
    Jimmy B

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I would say neck movement (nodding) and I also think the face is in front of the chainring - but since it's behind the forks and they look in focus I'd day it's not a focus issue.
    Maybe his helmet is slipping because it's on the hood of his fleece instead of on his head?
    So this could be after a bump, the bike isn't moving up/down any more and his head has nodded forward and then the inertia of the helmet keeps it moving.
    That would explain the blur in the nearest portion of the helmet, the lesser blur on the face as it's moving slower, and the apparent lack of blur on ther top edge of the helmet if it's nearly constant radius.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

1/1000 second.

It's not just this image though... it's a common thing ive noticed on my images, even when I'm running a much higher shutter speed.

I only say the face is about the same as the chainring because I was looking uphill at him. It may not be exactly that, but as you said, it's definitely behind the forks and they're in focus.

I feel like if the flying snow is frozen, then the helmet should be?

Do you use a uv filter? Could it be a back reflection from that. I had a problem similar to this and I quit using the UV. I only noticed my problem on night images.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCary
    Do you use a uv filter? Could it be a back reflection from that. I had a problem similar to this and I quit using the UV. I only noticed my problem on night images.
    That's where I was going to go with this. I am guessing there is a filter involved.
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

nope. No uv filter.

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    nope. No uv filter.
    drat...I'll give you more characters...
    Rule books are paper they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal. --Ernie Gann--
    What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. --Oscar Wilde--

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Wild guess...Could it be his breath from the cold?
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Maybe is IS screwed up in the lens. Was it on or off.
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Possible reflection off the back element and the sensor?? Maybe a mis-aligned element??
    I would expect this to follow on other bright items in the frame but the crank and the contestant number show no signs of this ghosting....Interesting.

I guess an experiment would be to take photos at different clock angles. Turn the body upside down on both horizontal and vertical shots and see if the defect follows the position of the lens.

See what you get for switching to Nikon? :ciappa:

haha oooh, those are fighting words!

I'll try to flip it and see if it still occurs. I'll keep everyone updated.

I would like to see some other images with the problem - finding common thread would be the best way to narrow it down. Only action images? Only outdoors? Only a particular lens? Only away from the center of the image? Etc.

Am I allowed to suggest that it is a Nikon issue
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    Am I allowed to suggest that it is a Nikon issue

You could but you'd be way off base!
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Wild guess...Could it be his breath from the cold?
    Ooohhh, I like the breath theory. Usually I just steam up my viewfinder, but a strong exhale by livin could have put a little haze on the front element.

Most likely it is a loose fitting helmet + not a smooth surface, and head is also moving. You just may need to increase the shutter speed. Just try to stop a horses feet at a trot!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Ooohhh, I like the breath theory. Usually I just steam up my viewfinder, but a strong exhale by livin could have put a little haze on the front element.
    thats probably unlikes as it's a 70-200 with the hood on, and i dont imagine it would only fog up the upper portion of the lens...

1000th seems a little slow to me, fast enough to catch snow being kicked up but nor fast enough to freeze the tread on the revolving wheel. How fast was the rider going? and was there a real sharp bump which could cause the helmet to kick forward very quickly.

But then you say it happens at higher speeds.

Intriguing.

Roger R.
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

big images, warning.

First is with the camera as normal, second is with it flipped the other way. It seems to be on that side only....and i think somethin's wrong with the lens.

Well at least my experiment worked. I hope the lens is still under warranty.

Is the Lens a VR lens?
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Thread Information