Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What would these be worth??? (Canon cameras)

Sorry to make this my first post, but I'm doing a favor for my friend's Dad and thought I'd come straight to the forums as they seem to be the best source of accurate information on the web.

SO, he has a number of cameras that he's asked me to check out the prices/interest on. He runs a travel guide book up in Alaska so has always been buying the next big thing to capture the new images and as such, has been left with quite a few cameras which don't see use anymore. (all Canon's)

EOS-1
    EOS D30
    EOS A2
    EOS RebelX S

I've checked out the prices on ebay, just wondering what you guys might pay for them? They've all been cared for meticulously and are in great shape.

On that same note, where would be the best place online that I could post these up for sale?

Thanks in advance, it's much appreciated. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum

Shawn

Re: What would these be worth??? (Canon cameras)

I think the final selling prices for cameras you see on ebay are oftened inflated. To check real values I'd recommend www.keh.com or www.bhphoto.com. They both carry large amounts of used photo gear and sell for fair prices.

As far as selling, I think ebay is your best bet. They're the big player in the used camera equipment market. If you want to quickly sell them for a fair, but lower price, you could sell them to a reputable dealer like B&H or KEH. You can also post classifed ads fror free on this site.

Hope that helps.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

unfortunately, you have to sell to people for less than they do at KEH.
    Remember that people pay the premium of KEH because of their modest rating of condition and reliability

I think the two biggest reasons for buying at KEH over a private seller would be that KEH gives you a warranty, and they've been in business for years. Who knows who the private seller is who you're sending your money to - I haven't had a problem in the many times I've done it, but there's always that chance...

Look at it from the buyer's perspective: You're not going to provide either the warranty and the transaction seems a little riskier. For me to want to buy from you (for example), it would have to be for less money. I'm sure you're a nice guy and everything, and hopefully you see my point.

Check "completed items" on Ebay and compare that to KEH which should be higher. KEH will buy the gear from you too, but you'll probably get half (if that) of what you could sell it for on Ebay.

Thanks a lot for all the great suggestions!

Anotherview, I definitely see your point. I also purchase things off of forums (mostly automotive) and will always think twice when it's someone that just came on yesterday morning and posts up a bunch of stuff for sale.

Looks like I'll suggest ebay to him!

Thread Information