Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: What if you lost your digital images?

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    You need two computers - just like I did.
    The second one to log onto the Internet to find out how to fix the problem !!
    I do have to computers, but I made the fatal mistake of thinking I could fix it myself. That wont happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Installed isn't too bad, but if it's PS CS2 there's the re-activation to go through, and convince them you're not a pirate stealing their software.
    It was PS CS2. I didn't have any proplem activating it. I have the original version of CS, 3 disc to install it, and then I have the CS2 upgrade. Another 4 disks on top of that...
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

I have my digital images on a desktop, a laptop, CD, DVD, and an external hard drive, as well as tons in slide and negative form. I have never had a card problem yet, but when the work is important, multiple cards, and multiple cameras are the order of the day.

I made the mistake of going light to Tulum in Mexico and my film camera gave out, but I was able to find a camera repair man in Cancun who managed to fix it in an hour. I was quite impressed and the cost was reasonable.

Ronnoco

I actually had a card failure in December of last year. Not the whole shoot, but it doesn't matter shooting professionally. It put a real dent in my relationship with the client.

Funny thing is I DID MANAGE TO RECOVER THE IMAGES! I shoot all Lexar 1 gig cards (80x). I emailed Lexar that weekend and ended up in India with a by-the-book teckie. What a waste of time.

We tried four recoveries using the Mac version of Image Rescue. His final words to me were, "The images are gone, reformat the card."

This was not good enough for me. On Monday I called Lexar in NJ and explained the problem. The guy was fantastic.

First off, the Mac software DOES NOT work! Luckily I run Virtual PC on my G4 Notebook. He said they'd never attempted it THAT way before, but I assured him I had nothing to lose! The data recovery worked perfect, the first time!

I'm sticking with my Lexars!

Read my next post for my digital shooting workflow from camera to computer.

:mad2:
    from somewhere on Colorado's Continental Divide...

fotomatt!
    Matt Lit
    www.LITfoto.com

My digital workflow:

I have a couple of variations.

1) When doing architectural shoots I always have my laptop set up for proofing and preview of my shots.

So, when I'm done shooting a card:

1) Card gets downloaded to computer
    2) Card gets stored

Upon completion of the shoot, I burn a set of CDs.

I leave the job with three copies!

If I'm shooting a wedding and can have the luxury of letting my assistant dump cards and burn CD's I use the same workflow.

However, if time/space and other logistics don't allow for that:

1) Dump card into my Epson P-2000
    2) Store card.

WHICHEVER method I use:

I never, ever, EVER will dump a card during a shoot. The off chances where I have had to do that I:

Took burned CD's and opened up images from outer, middle and inside of CD in photoshop to make sure the disk was working properly.

The key here is to make sure you have enough cards and a storage device so that you won't have to dump a card to continue shooting more photos.

Hope that tidbit helps!
    from somewhere on Colorado's Continental Divide...

fotomatt!
    Matt Lit
    www.LITfoto.com

I've just made a few mistake... I think I have lost all the images on my sd card... I am not sure. Could please give me an advise? I was going through the setting on my digital camera, and stupidly I chose the choice 'format' - 'Execute... Then, there aren't anymore images... Have I really lost all the pictures??? Please help!:cryin: :cryin:

Digitally Challenged - Bonkers Kaelastreet's Avatar

I have, in another thread, just pounded on the need to back up and then back up again.

However
    I once had a customer in the retail trade try to sue me as even though he was backing up daily, (point of sale cash register system); he was never ever verifying the back up was useable. IN other words, his back ups were garbage, but he carried on backing up until the day when the world stopped for him.

If you make back ups, before you delete the original, ensure that your backup is readable and fit for purpose.

I have, sadly, (or with challenge) needed to 'walk away' from life. With that, you end up with what you can get into a suitcase and a backpack. Prioritising the need to keep things takes on a whole new perspective.

What if you get home to find you house burning down, or that levy breaks or the dam bursts or the sinkhole opens up of the ASBO Hoodie steals everything of value. Back ups are rendered fair game for loss and destruction, what then?

Solution

Keep a print or digital copy in another place, FAR away and be prepared for the need to lose one of them, either the original or the backup. Hint; don’t save your copies on a server run by someone else, business change hands at the blink of an eye.

Work in life to keep five things, and ensure that if those things cannot walk under their own steam, you’re going to have to willingly carry it. Be it your child, or your camera, your choice. But, when it comes to making value added judgements to the need to make copies, it helps bring it in focus.

I hope it never happens, but one day you might be thankful just to be still alive and pictures, no matter how expensive, will be another unwanted luxury item.

If I lose all my work again, well, as long as I can write about it, I will be happy!

Kizzie

Nothing is ever as it seems to be

It's hurricane season... again...

I posted this on another thread, and I thought that it would be helpful here as well. Several weeks ago my boss' assistant inadvertently screwed up a card full of RAW files. Boss tried the LEXAR recovery system which didn't work. Told her I'd bring it home and do some research. Came up with a downloadable program called Card Recovery, which worked beautifully on the first try. It recovered every image.

Had to use it again myself after I was getting CF read errors from falling down with my camera in tow- (don't ask!) and again, it worked perfectly. I can't say enough about this program- it was well worth the $39.95 price tag!

I hope that this is helpful- I looked in the reviews section for card recovery software and couldn't find any. John, if you post a link I'll be happy to put my review there.

Here is the link to the website: http://www.cardrecovery.com/

Hope this helps!
    Kristin
    Canon Bird Nerd #2

DC Photographer

Makes me feel a bit relieved to be living in the dark ages - I still use film, where negatives are a decent backup. But someday I will perfect a backup with scanned images on a HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Neatsfoot
    Makes me feel a bit relieved to be living in the dark ages - I still use film, where negatives are a decent backup. But someday I will perfect a backup with scanned images on a HD.
    Assuming your negatives or slides are properly stored and not subject to mold or heat.

My solution is to keep all my photos on a RAID system, seperate from the disk that houses the OS. I back up to Archival Gold DVD's, but you never know........

The conventional wisdom is to keep a backup off-site. There are RAID boxes that you can copy your archivce to, and take to another location.

This all gets expensive. But most of us charge it back to the customers, who are usually smart enough to know why it's neccesary.

Hi there, I have a big problem. my mother went to a wedding took about 1000 pics, i tried to download the pics on my computer (ibook4), nothing happenend. i unplugged the cable from the computer, checked my camera and it said,no file in folder. i am so desperate. is there any hope??? does anyone know someplace i could take the memory card in in the san jose area??? unfortunately i do not know much about computers.
    thanks for your help...

Well - I had an external hard drive die on me. Yup - 160 gigs worth of pics... down the toilet... Had our computer guru at work try to salvage it but alas - no luck - the drive was literally fried...
    So words of advice would be - buy good quality externa hard drives (apparently Rocstor is well recommended) and don't put all your eggs in one basket - have a 2nd copy somewhere else...
    Diane Dupuis-Kallos
    www.ddkphotos.com

Keep your film in a dry, cool place is the absolute best way to back up your digital files.

try image recall.. i think its called dont panic. i had to buy it for the mac but it worked.. saved muh!!

I had an issue only once.

I set the CF card on the bed in front of me when sitting in a hotel room and getting the laptop ready. At this point my youngest child got sic and threw up all over the memory card. I let the car dry out for 2 days and put it into the card reader and it showed that it was blank. a full days worth of shots lost.....or so I thought.

A friend of mine told me to try a program called ISO buster. I had used it before for opening image files but I did not know it could be used as a data recovery tool as well. I installed the program (theres a free version available on the web if you google the name) and had it check the card. Not only did it have the shots I had recently taken but it foud images on the card still from the day before ( I only format the cards before I am heading out to a shoot and I know the images from the last one are safe and backed up) Its nice to have more than one option software wise. Like someone said earlier inteh thread, if one doesn't work then you can keep trying and another one will.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

I have not had a CF card fail yet, but it is only a matter of time.

Is many 1 or 2 Gig CF cards better than a few 4gig cards? That way if one fails........

For my computer I just got a NAS device that holds 4 harddrives for up to 1 terrabyte. It is in a RAID configuration so I am satisfied with my backups. It runs a nightly backup of the folders where I keep all my pix (and music). If one drive fails, I just pop another in

My applications are on 1 internal drive and my pictures that I work on are on another separate hard drive so any software conflicts among the applications don't bother the data.

I also back up to DVD just in case and put those DVD's in a fire safe (our house burned when I was in 5th grade)

Can't be too careful!

thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    I have not had a CF card fail yet, but it is only a matter of time.

clip....

I also back up to DVD just in case and put those DVD's in a fire safe (our house burned when I was in 5th grade)

Can't be too careful!

thanks,
    Wes
    Really you shouldn't have those DVD's in your house they should be at your work if passable or a another family members or fiends house, or a set at all three places.

Gordon
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Nikon D800, 50mm F1.4D AF, 16-35mm, 28-200mm & 70-300mm

Quote Originally Posted by shutterman
    Is many 1 or 2 Gig CF cards better than a few 4gig cards? That way if one fails........
    Yes, and that's exactly the reason why. I've never had a card failure other than one brand new out of the box, but it might only be a matter of time for me too... Also helps with the chance for human error - losing a card, formatting it at the wrong time, etc.

When I had my business I backed up every night and next day I took the backup to the bank and put it in my lockbox there. I also kept a copy of the backup in the ofice and rotated the backup tapes ( had a 9 track drive). That way the most I could lose would be one day's work. Really came in handy a time or 3. It pays to back up and keep a copy elsewhere, off premises.

Now, when I download cards, I copy to HD and make a copy to another drive. I have two internal drives and a 320 g external drive. Nothing goes on boot drive except OS and dlls, etc. My main drive is partitioned so that I have software on a different "drive" than other stuff. I use the second drive which has nothing on it besides photo files. I never work with original files, I copy files I want to work on to another directory and work on those. That way I always have 2 original copies. When I convert RAW files, I always convert to tiff files as jpg is lossy and every time you save them you lose data. If I am going to make different size prints or show on web, I copy each tif and resize it. I often have as many as 5 or 6 copies of each tif file. I might have a 5X7, an 8X10, 11X14, and the original size from the camera. sometimes I will make an album of the photos to present to someone. I also process the tif files; color, contrast, etc; before I convert to jpg if I need a jpg for some reason.

Also, I never use the camera to transfer files from card to puter. Card readers are inexpensive enough and they are faster than camera transfer. It pays to be careful and avoid heart attacks caused by deletion of precious files.
    Michael :-)

I have two internal data drives and one OS drive.
    OS drive is split C&D C is OS only D is applications.
    The two data drives are mirrored so if one fails I loose nothing.
    Once per week the whole drive is copied to an external drive of the same size.
    Once a year I replace the external drive and archive it along with that years work on archival DVD's
    I also Ghost Image the C&D every two days. SO I can restore in about 2 hours with no loss.
    DEviaNT Photographer

'Tough' meant it was an uncompromising image, something that came from your gut, out of instinct, raw, of the moment, something that couldn’t be described in any other way. So it was tough. Tough to like, tough to see, tough to make, tough to understand. The tougher they were the more beautiful they became.
    ~ Joel Meyerowitz

Actually i'm still in the phase of recovery (personally and not my computer) because I recently lost a bunch of photos on the day I was suppose to upload it. The bad thing was that those were photos taken in Bangkok, and I'm not sure ill be back again.

Same thing here man.. the ZZZZtwit ZZZZZ .... but this was because of a virus.

Photos gone, and I guess they will be just memories.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoy
    Actually i'm still in the phase of recovery (personally and not my computer) because I recently lost a bunch of photos on the day I was suppose to upload it. The bad thing was that those were photos taken in Bangkok, and I'm not sure ill be back again.

Same thing here man.. the ZZZZtwit ZZZZZ .... but this was because of a virus.

Photos gone, and I guess they will be just memories.
    If you did not over write with new photos, on your memory cards you can recover the photos from the memory cards. If the photo files have not been over written on the hard drive you can recover the photos.

Rules for data recovery:

1) do not save anything to the hard drive which has the files on it
    2) do not install programs to that hard drive which has the files on it
    3) do not defrag the hard drive which has the files on it

Reason you do not wish to overwrite the deleted files making them unrecoverable.

Most important is you will need a different writable drive to save the files to.
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

My hubby backs mine up in 3 different places.
    He has the computer to back up every night, well early hours of the morning, at around 2am. So any work we have done is auto backed up.
    I would die if I lost my pictures!!!

opps On my post I forgot to add DO NOT to 2 and three during the posting!!!!!
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Quote Originally Posted by freygr
    opps On my post I forgot to add DO NOT to 2 and three during the posting!!!!!
    I added it to your post above too. Good points!

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I added it to your post above too. Good points!
    Thank You, Later the next day I notice that error but I did not have an edit button. I must of been not my optimal self that night. :mad2:
    GRF

Panorama Madness:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information