Help Files Camera and Photography Forum

For general camera equipment and photography technique questions. Moderated by another view. Also see the Learn section, Camera Reviews, Photography Lessons, and Glossary of Photo Terms.

What to charge for sports photos

I've just started shooting local school sports photos starting with my 12 year old cousin's basketball team and not only have permission from the coach but he's asked to do some team photos and so forth. However I haven't the slightest idea what I should charge. I'm shooting posed photos as well as in-game action photos. Does anyone else do this? What are your rates?

Re: What to charge for sports photos

Depends on what you can get! ;) I would imagine that they don't have a lot of money to work with. I'd be afraid of telling them a low price just to get something out of it, and then getting referrals based on that low price ("I hear you do portraits for $__, when can you come over?" - this happened to me!).

If it were me and I knew I couldn't get enough out of it that I'd want to do it again for someone at that price (as in example above), then I'd tell them I'm donating my services. If you're shooting film you might ask for money to cover your expenses, but still tell them (especially in this case) that you're donating your services.

I'm shooting with my lovely new 20D. Basically the purpose of starting my business is to pay for gear and make a few extra bucks on the side. I've already seen interest in portraits from working on the sports side which was what I was hoping for. I'm doing this to make money, not for fun so I don't just want to "cover costs" but don't want to charge jaw dropping prices either.. I hate sports and would be bored to tears at these events if it weren't for my fiance who is also a photographer being with me so if I don't get decent returns on my time I won't bother anymore.

I understand now. Like I say, don't charge too little because you'll be stuck there. Don't charge too much because they don't have it. Finding the price that both of you can live with can be a challenge. I guess the only advice I can give you is that typically event photoraphers charge in the $100/hr range. This is because there's a lot of other work involved other than the actual shooting (as you know!).

This rate may be higher than they can afford, but it might be a starting point. Rather than discounting the rate, you could throw in extra prints (maybe one for each person) which won't cost you much. Let us know how it turns out.

I don't want to charge by the event since the school is paying me nothing. I'm charging the parents so I need an idea of price per print like $X for 4x6, $X for 8x10, etc. I don't know if I should sell an 8x10 for $10 or $50.

Bump - Anyone?

Thread Information